I received shock treatments, and later I was assigned to help the doctor, lifting each patient onto the table.
我接受了電擊療法,后來又被分配去幫助醫生,把每位病人抬到電擊臺上。
I watched as the current passed through and the body convulsed.
我看到電流接通后,病人的身體抽搐著。
There has been much controversy over shock treatments—whether or not they did irremediable harm.
人們對于電擊療法有很大爭議——它是否會對人體造成無可彌補的傷害。
Speaking only for myself, I think they brought me out of the fog in which I had been walking.
就我而言,我覺得電療讓我擺脫了一直所處的混沌狀態。
One of the symptoms of my illness had been hearing voices.
我的一個病癥是不斷聽到各種聲音,
But one day—and this was after I came out of the fog and I was quite calm and rational—
可是,有一天——那是在我走出頭腦中的迷霧,恢復了冷靜和理智后——
looking out of the cage, the barred windows behind which we lived, at grass and trees and clouds,
我透過我們病房中帶柵欄的窗戶從這牢籠中向外看,看見了草地、樹木和白云,
I heard a voice say "Praise God, they resist, they resist!"
聽到一個聲音在說“感謝上帝吧,他們頂住了,他們頂住了!”
Who was it who was resisting?
是誰在抵抗呢?
Others like myself, I suppose.
我想,是像我一樣的人們。
I believe with Shakespeare that there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in the philosophy of those who serve the world, and who administer its institutions, and grow rich.
我贊成莎士比亞說過的話,對于那些服務于這個世界、管理它的各種機構、并因此而發財的人來說,天上和人間有太多在他們的哲學中永遠想象不到的東西。