"Where have you been?”
“你又去哪兒了?”
"I took a walk."
“我出去散步了。”
"A long walk?" "Yes."
“走了很遠嗎?”“是的。”
"Why?" "I wanted to be alone."
“為什么?”“我想一個人呆會兒。”
My mother waited a moment and then she said, "Why is your brother on his way to San Francisco?"
媽媽停了一會兒,然后說你哥哥為什么要去舊金山?”
"Because—" But I just couldn't tell her.
“因為——”但我不能告訴她。
"It's all right," she said. "Tell me."
“沒關系,”她說,“告訴我。”
"Because you and Pop fight so much."
“因為你和爸爸總是吵架。”
"Fight? " "Yes."
“吵架?”“是的。”
"Do we?" my mother said.
“我們有嗎?”我媽媽問。
"I don't know. Are you going to make him come home? Is Pop going to go and get him?" NO.
“我不知道。你們會把他找回來嗎?爸爸是否會去找他?”“不。”
"Does he know?"
“爸爸知道這件事嗎?”
"Yes. He told me."
“知道,是他告訴我的。”
"When?"
“什么時候?”
"Right after you ran off, and your brother began to walk to the depot. Your father saw the whole thing."
“就在你跑開之后,你哥哥出發去車站的時候,你爸爸看到了整件事情。”
"Didn't he want to stop him?"
“難道他不想阻止哥哥嗎?”
"No. Now, go out and repair the raft."
“不,他不想。好了,現在出去修一下木筏吧。”
I worked hard every day and finished the raft in two weeks.
我每天都很努力地工作,終于在兩周內完成了木筏。
One evening my father helped me get it onto a truck he'd hired.
一天晚上,爸爸幫我把它抬到了他租來的卡車上。
We drove to Kings River, launched it, and sailed down the river about twelve miles.
我們開車到了金斯河,把它放下水,并且在河上漂流了大約12英里。
My father brought a letter out of his pocket and read it out loud.
爸爸從口袋里拿出一封信并且大聲地讀了起來。
It was addressed to Dear Mother and Father.
信的稱呼是親愛的爸爸媽媽。
All it said was Ralph had found a job he liked, and was going to go to college when the fall semester began, and was well and happy.
信里寫了拉爾夫找到了一份他喜歡的工作,并且他將在秋季學期開始自己的大學生活,他過得很好很開心之類的。
The last word of the letter was love.
信最后的落款是“愛你們的”。