Instead, though, he set the suitcase down and came to the raft.
然而,他卻放下手提箱,走向木筏。
He stepped onto it and sat down, as if we'd just launched the raft and were sailing down Kings River.
他邁進去坐了下來,似乎我們已經把木筏放入水里正在金斯河上漂流一樣。
He put his hand over the side, as if into the cold water of Kings River,
他的手放在一邊,就像是放在冰冷的金斯河水中一樣,
and he looked around, as if the raft were passing between vineyards and orchards.
然后他環顧四周,就像木筏從葡萄園和果樹園之間經過。
After a moment he got up, stepped out of the raft, and picked up the suitcase.
過了一會兒,他站起身來,走下木枝,提起了箱子。
There were no tears in his eyes now, but he just couldn't say good-bye.
現在,雖然他的眼里沒有淚水,但他還是沒有說出“再見”。
For a moment I thought he was going to give up the idea of leaving home and go back to bed.
有那么一刻,我覺得他要放棄離家出走的念頭,會再回到床上去睡覺。
Instead, he said, "I'll never go into that house again."
但是,他卻說:“我再也不會踏進家門一步了。”
"Do you hate them? Is that why?"
“你恨他們嗎?是這個原因嗎?”
"No," he said, but now he began to cry, as if he were eight or nine years old, not almost seventeen.
“不,”他說,可是此刻他開始哭泣,就像是八九歲的孩子,不像是快滿17歲的人。
I picked up the raft, tipped it over, and jumped on it until some of the boards we had so carefully nailed together broke.
我抬起木筏,把它翻了過來,在上面使勁地跳著,一直跳到被我們小心釘上去的木板都開始斷裂了為止。
Then I began to run. I didn't turn around to look at him again.
然后我跑開了,再也沒有回頭看他一眼。
I ran and walked all the way to where we had planned to launch the raft, about six miles.
一路上我連走帶跑,一直走了大概6英里,來到我們計劃放木筏下水的地方才停下來。
I sat on the riverbank and tried to think.
我坐在河邊開始沉思。
It didn't do any good, though. I just didn't understand, that's all.
但是沒起任何作用,我就是不能理解,就是這樣。