When I got home it was after eleven in the morning, I was very hungry, and I wanted to sit down and eat.
當我回到家時,已經是上午11點多了。我非常餓,想要坐下來吃點兒東西。
My father was at his job at Graff's.
爸爸這時正在格拉夫商店上班,
My sister was out of the house, and my mother didn't seem to want to look at me.
妹妹在門外,媽媽的目光似乎在回避我。
She put food on the table—more than usual—, so I was pretty sure she knew something, or at any rate suspected.
她在往桌子上擺吃的——比平常擺得要多——因此我確定她已經知道了些什么,或者反正猜到了幾分。
At last she said, "Who smashed the raft?" "I did."
最后她說:“誰弄破了木筏?”“我。”
"I got mad at my brother."
“那時我被哥哥氣瘋了。”
"Why?"
“為什么?”
"I just got mad."
“我只是被氣瘋了。”
"Eat your food."
“吃東西吧。”
She went into the living room, and I ate my food.
她走進客廳,我吃我的飯。
When I went into the living room she was working at the sewing machine with another of my father's suits.
當我走進客廳時,她正在縫紉機旁改爸爸的一件舊衣服。
"This one's for you," she said.
“這件是你的,”她說。
"When can I wear it?"
“我什么時候能穿上?”
"Next Sunday. It's one of your father's oldest, when he was slimmer. It'll be a good fit. Do you like it?" "Yes."
“下周日。這是你爸爸最舊的一件衣服之一,那時他還很瘦。你穿起來會很合身,喜歡嗎?”“喜歡。”
She put the work aside and tried to smile, and then did, a little.
她把衣服放到了一邊,努力地笑了笑,結果真擠出一點兒笑容。
"She doesn't know what's happened," I thought.
“她不知道發生了什么事情,”我想,
And then I thought, "Maybe she does, and this is the way she is."
然后我轉念一想,“也許她知道了,這只是她的一貫風格罷了。”
"Your brother's bike is in the garage," she said. "Where's he?"
“你哥哥的自行車在車棚里,”她說,“他去哪兒了?”
"On his way to San Francisco."
“他在去舊金山的路上。”