Arthur stared at her, appalled. "You mean you would?"
阿瑟盯著她,感到非常震驚:“你是說你會去按那個鈕?”
"Fifty thousand dollars, Arthur."
“5萬美元啊,阿瑟。”
"What has the amount—"
“錢的多少——”
"Fifty thousand," Norma interrupted. "A chance to take that trip to Europe we've always talked about."
“5萬,”諾瑪打斷了他的話,“這就意味著我們可以實現一直以來的夢想,到歐洲去玩一趟。”
"Norma, no."
“諾瑪,不要這樣。”
"A chance to buy that cottage."
“還可以去買那幢小別墅。”
"Norma, no!" His face was white.
“諾瑪,不行。”他的臉色蒼白。
She shrugged. "All right, take it easy," she said. "Why are you so upset? It's only talk."
她聳聳肩。“好吧,何必這么認真,”她說,“為什么你看起來這么不安?只是說說而已。”
She got up earlier than usual to make pancakes, eggs, and bacon for Arthur's breakfast.
第二天早上,她比平常起得早,為阿瑟做了薄烤餅、雞蛋還有熏肉之類的早餐。
"What's the occasion?" he asked with a smile.
“怎么給我弄這么美味的早餐啊?”他笑著問。
"No occasion," Norma said. "I just wanted to show you I'm not—" she shrugged.
“沒什么啊,”諾瑪說,“我只想向你表明我不是——”她聳了聳肩。
"Not what?"
“不是什么?”
"Selfish."
“自私。”
"Did I say you were?"
“我這樣說你了嗎?”
"Well"—she gestured vaguely—"last night. I think you—well, misunderstood me."
“嗯——”她含混地做了個手勢,“昨晚我覺得你——哦,誤解了我的意思。”
"In what way?" His voice was guarded.
“在哪方面?”他的聲音變得小心翼翼起來。
"I think you felt" —she gestured again—"that I was only thinking of myself."
“我覺得你認為——”她又打著手勢,“我只是為自己考慮。”
"Oh."
“哦。”
"Well, I wasn't. When I talked about the trip to Europe..."
“可是,我不是為自己。當我談到歐洲旅行……”
"Norma, why are we getting so involved in this?"
“諾瑪,為什么我們要為這件事糾纏不清呢?”
"I'm not involved at all." She drew in a shaking breath. "I'm simply trying to indicate that—"
“我不是在糾纏,”她顫抖著吸了一口氣,“我只是想表明——”
"What?"
“什么?”
"That I'd like for us to go to Europe. Like for us to have a cottage. Like for us to have a nicer apartment, nicer furniture, and nicer clothes."
“想表明我想和你去歐洲旅行,希望有一幢我們自己的小別墅,希望我們有一套更好的公寓、更好的家具和更好的衣服。”