"Is this a practical joke?" asked Arthur.
“是一個惡作劇嗎?”阿瑟問道。
"Not at all. The offer is completely genuine."
“絕對不是。報酬是確定無疑的。”
"You aren't making sense," Arthur said. "I think you'd better leave."
“完全不知道你在說什么,”阿瑟說,“我想你最好離開。”
Mr. Steward rose, "Of course."
斯圖沃德先生站了起來,“當然。”
"And take your button unit with you."
“把你的按鈕裝置也帶走。”
"Are you sure you wouldn't care to think about it?"
“你確定不用再考慮一下嗎?”
Arthur picked up the button unit and thrust it into Mr. Steward's hands. He walked into the hall and pulled open the door.
阿瑟拿起按鈕裝置,把它塞進了斯圖沃德先生的手里。他走到門廳,拉開了門。
"I'll leave my card," said Mr. Steward. He placed it on the table. When he was gone, Arthur tore it in half and tossed the pieces onto the table. Norma was still sitting on the sofa. "What do you think it was?" she asked.
“我把名片留在這兒,”斯圖沃德先生說著把名片放到了桌子上。他走后,阿瑟把它撕成了兩半,扔在桌子上。諾瑪仍然坐在沙發上。“你認為那會是什么?”她問。
"I don't care to know," he answered.
“我才不想知道呢,”他回答道。
She tried to smile.
她擠出一絲笑容。
Later that evening as they went into the bedroom, Norma picked up the subject, "You think it's a practical joke?"
當天晚上,當他們走進臥室時,諾瑪又重新提起了這個話題:“你認為那是個惡作劇?”
"If it is, it's a sick one."
“如果是,也是令人討厭的惡作劇。”
Norma sat on her bed and took off her slippers. "Maybe it's some kind of psychological research."
諾瑪坐在床上,脫下拖鞋:“或許是某種心理研究。”
Arthur shrugged, "Could be."
阿瑟聳了聳肩說:“也許吧。”
"Wouldn't you like to know?"
“你不想知道?”
Arthur shook his head.
阿瑟搖了搖頭。
"Why?"
“為什么?”
"Because it's immoral," he told her.
“因為那是不道德的,”他對她說。
Norma slid beneath the covers. "Well, I think it's intriguing," she said.
諾瑪鉆進被窩。“我倒覺得挺有趣的,”她說。
Arthur turned off the lamp and leaned over to kiss her. "Good night," he said.
阿瑟關了燈,靠過去吻了吻她。“晚安,”他說。
"Good night," she patted his back.
“晚安。”她輕輕拍了一下他的后背。