"Fairly large," I whispered. "I intend to place in this bank the sum of fifty-six dollars now and fifty dollars a month regularly."
“相當大,”我低聲說,“我打算現在在這家銀行存56美元,然后每月定期存50美元。”
The manager got up and opened the door. He called to the accountant.
經理站起身打開門,他把會計師喊來了。
"Mr. Montgomery," he said, unkindly loud, "this gentleman is opening an account. He will place fifty-six dollars in it. Good morning."
“蒙哥馬利先生,”他極不友善地大聲說道,“這位先生打算開個戶頭,他要存入56美元。再見。”
I stood up.
我站了起來。
A big iron door stood open at the side of the room.
房間一側的一扇大鐵門敞開著。
"Good morning," I said, and walked into the safe.
“再見。”我說。然后走進了保險庫。
"Come out," said the manager coldly, and showed me the other way.
“出來。”經理冷冷地說道,然后指給我另一個方向。
I went up to the accountant's position and pushed the ball of money at him with a quick, sudden movement as if I were doing a sort of trick.
我走到會計師窗口,迅速而又突然地把已揉成團的鈔票推給他,好像在耍什么花樣。
My face was terribly pale.
我的臉煞白。
"Here," I said, "put it in my account." The sound of my voice seemed to mean, "Let us do this painful thing while we feel that we want to do it."
“這兒,”我說,“把它存入我的戶頭。”我的聲音似乎在說“讓我們趕緊結束這件讓人痛苦的事情吧。”
He took the money and gave it to another clerk.
他拿起錢,遞給了另一個職員。
He made me write the sum on a bit of paper and sign my name in a book. I no longer knew what I was doing. The bank seemed to swim before my eyes.
他讓我在一張小紙片上寫下金額并在一個賬簿上簽名。我已經不知道自己在做什么,銀行似乎在我眼前旋轉起來。
"Is it in the account?" I asked in a hollow, shaking voice.
“存入賬戶了?”我用空洞發顫的聲音問道。
"It is," said the accountant.
“是的。”會計師說。