Gift of the Magi
麥琪的禮物
Tomorrow will be Christmas.
明天就是圣誕節了。
But Della feels very sad, because she has no money to buy a present for her husband, Jim.
但是黛拉很難過,因為她沒有錢給她的丈夫吉姆買一件禮物。
In fact, Della and Jim have two precious possessions.
其實,黛拉和吉姆有兩件寶貝。
They are Jim's gold watch and Della's long beautiful hair, which are the only wealth for them.
那就是吉姆的金表和黛拉漂亮的長發,這是他們僅有的財產。
Della had her hair cut, sold it and bought a gold watch chain for Jim.
黛拉把頭發剪了賣掉,給吉姆買了一個金表鏈。
Now, Della is at home.
現在,黛拉到家了。
(All of a sudden, the door opens and Jim comes in.)
(突然門開了,吉姆走了進來。)
You-?
你...?
Jim. don't look at me that way.
吉姆,別那樣看著我。
I had my hair cut off and sold it because I couldn't have lived through Christmas without giving you a present.
我把頭發剪了賣掉了,因為我不能連圣誕節都不送你一份禮物。
Jim, it will grow quickly. Say "Merry Christmas!" Jim, and let's be happy.
吉姆,它很快就會長出來的。說“圣誕快樂!”吉姆,我們開心點。
You've cut off your hair?
你把頭發剪了?
I've cut it off and sold it. It's sold.
我把頭發剪掉賣了。賣了。
I tell you, sold and gone, too. It's Christmas eve, Jim. Please understand.
我跟你說,賣了,沒有了。今天是圣誕節前夕,吉姆。請理解一下。
I sold my hair so that I could give you something for Christmas.
我把頭發賣了,這樣我就能給你買一份圣誕禮物了。
Well, Dalla, I do understand. Don't worry.
嗯,黛拉,我理解。別擔心。
The fact that you have a different hair cut could not possibly make me love you less.
你發型變了,我依然會很愛你。
I know you sold your hair for me. Now look at this present I got for you.
我知道你為了我把頭發賣了。現在看我給你準備的禮物。
Ah! The combs. They were in the shop windows for many months!
啊!梳子。它們在櫥窗里好幾個月了!
Yes, the beautiful combs, with jeweled rims-just the color to wear in your beautiful hair.
是啊,好看的梳子,還有一圈珠寶——顏色跟你的頭發很配。
But, Jim. They are expensive combs.
可是,吉姆。這梳子很貴。
I know, my heart had longed for them without the least hope of owning them.
我知道,我很喜歡它們,可我從來沒想過要擁有。
Now they are mine. Thank you, Jim.
現在它是我的了。謝謝你,吉姆。
Now, you will see why I was upset at first.
現在你知道我為什么一開始不開心了。
Jim, you don't know what a nice-what a beautiful gift, nice gift I've got for you. Can you guess?
吉姆,你不知道我給你準備了多么好看多么漂亮的禮物。你猜一下?
I'm sorry. I have no idea what it could be.
抱歉。我不知道會是什么。
Look! A gold watch chain! Isn't it lovely, Jim?
看!一條金表鏈!是不是很好看,吉姆?
I hunted all over the town to find it.
我跑遍全鎮給你買到的。
You'll have to look at the time a hundred times a day now.
現在你每天一定要看很多遍時間。
Give me your watch. I want to see how it looks on it.
把手表給我。我想看看它們配起來是什么樣的。
Della, let's put our Christmas gifts away and keep them for a while.
黛拉,我們把圣誕節禮物收起來保存著吧。
They're too nice to use just at present. I sold the watch to get the money to buy the combs.
它們太珍貴了,不能僅僅當做禮物。我把手表賣了給你買梳子。
Now, let's have our supper.
現在,我們吃晚飯吧。