Conversation Two
對話二
How do you like being self-employed?
你覺得自己當自己的老板怎么樣?
There are obvious benefits, though I don't seem to have the freedom I anticipated as I just don't seem able to decline work offers.
好處顯而易見,但似乎沒我預期的那么自由,因為我似乎就是沒法拒絕接受工作邀請。
And working alone, there have been times when I've found that money alone provides insufficient motivation.
而且獨自工作,有時候我會發現,單靠金錢不能給我提供足夠的動力。
Have you experienced the same since you began working for yourself?
自從你開始為自己工作以來,有沒有相同的感受?
Sometimes, yes.
是的,有時候會。
Unlike the rest of the workforce who have managers to prompt motivation whenever they're feeling lazy or bored, we self- employed workers perform our jobs without a manager to lift our spirits.
我們不像其他勞動者;每當他們感到懶散或厭倦時,就會有經理來激發動力,我們這些自雇者是在沒有經理來提振士氣的情形下完成我們的工作。
There's no one around to offer praise or initiate collaboration, no one to make greater use of our interests and talents.
身邊沒人給予獎勵或發起合作,沒人能更好地利用我們的興趣和天賦。
That's a fact.
確實如此。
Not every manager behaves with such awareness and care, of course.
當然了,也不是每個經理都像這樣洞察人心,關心下屬;
And certainly not all managers have a clue how to motivate people.
肯定也不是所有的經理都知道如何激勵員工。
Still, having a manager nearby at least indicates there s an opportunity they'll be decent enough to look out for you when your energy and focus begin to deplete.
盡管如此,身邊有位經理至少還意味著,在你的精力和注意力開始枯竭的時候,他們還可能會足夠體面去照顧你。
The motivator I value most is autonomy.
我最看重的激勵因素是自主權。
I've learned not to sacrifice my prized autonomy by working all hours of the day and by saying yes to every client request.
我已經學會了不要犧牲我寶貴的自主權去一天到晚地干活兒,順從客戶的每一個要求。
Yes. I need to remind myself that I selected this lifestyle for the independence.
是的。我需要提醒自己,我選擇這種生活方式是為了獨立自主。
I don't miss aspects of permanent full-time employment I disliked, such as the office politics, job insecurity, inflexible hours and so on.
我不懷念那些自己討厭的全職工作中存在的方方面面,比如辦公室里的勾心斗角、工作的不安全性,不靈活的上下班時間等等。
I wouldn't mind a bit more in the form of praise though, praise which is on the record.
但我不介意多一點點記錄在案的那種表揚。
That'll come with time.
那個你早晚會有的。
Relatedness is inevitably cultivated via human interaction.
人際關系不可避免地要通過人際互動才能培養。
Engaging with clients, getting written testimony and recommendations, staying in contact with clients afterwards, these are things you'll find will come in due course and provide you with motivation.
和客戶互動,得到書面的證明和推薦,活兒干完了還和客戶保持聯系,你會發現這些事情在適當的時候會出現并給你提供動力。
You're right.
你說得對。
That's an area I do need to put some more effort into — building closer relationships with those who engage my services and skills.
這方面我確實需要投入更多努力——跟雇用我的服務和技能的人建立起更密切的關系。
Questions 5 to 8 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
請根據你剛聽到的對話回答5到8題。
Question 5: What does the man say about his life of being self-employed?
問題5:關于自己創業的生活,男士說了些什么?
Question 6: What does the man say about managers?
問題6:關于經理,男士說了些什么?
Question 7: What do both speakers value most about self-employment?
問題7:關于自主創業,兩位說話者最看重的是什么?
Question 8: On what point does the man agree with the woman?
問題8:男士同意女士的什么觀點?