Miss Yamada, did you ever think that you would find yourself living and working in the western world?
山田女士,你曾想過你會在西方世界生活并工作嗎?
No, not really, although I've always listened to recordings of great orchestras from Europe.
我想象不到,雖然我經常聽歐洲一些很棒的管弦樂隊的錄音。
So you enjoyed classical music even when you were very young?
所以從你很小的時候,你就喜歡古典音樂了嗎?
Oh, yes. I was only a child.
是的。那時我還是個小孩子。
You were born in 1955. Is that right?
你是1955年出生的。是嗎?
Yes, I began violin lessons at school when I was six.
是的,我六歲的時候在學校參加了小提琴課。
As young as that, did you like it?
作為一個那么小的小孩,你喜歡小提琴課嗎?
Oh, yes, very much.
是的,非常喜歡。
When did you first play on your own?
你第一次獨自演奏是什么時候?
I mean, when did you give your first performance?
我是指,你什么時候第一次表演?
I think I was 8...? No, 9.
我想是我八歲……不,九歲的時候。
I just had my birthday a week before, and my father had bought me a new violin.
在那一周前,我剛過完自己的生日,我的父親給我買了一把新的小提琴。
I played a small piece at the school concert.
我在學校音樂會上表演了一小段。
Did you know then that you would become a professional violinist?
那時候你知道自己會成為一名職業的小提琴家嗎?
Yes, I think so.
是的。
I enjoyed playing the violin very much, and I didn't mind practicing, sometimes three or four hours a day.
我非常享受拉小提琴,我不覺得練習辛苦,一天甚至要練上三四個小時。
And when did you first come to Europe?
你什么時候來歐洲的呢?
I was very lucky.
我非常幸運。
When I was 15, I won a scholarship to a college in Paris.
我十五歲的時候,獲得了巴黎一所大學的獎學金。
That was for a three-year course.
那是一項三年的課程。
How did your parents feel about that?
你的父母怎么看呢?
I think they were pleased and worried at the same time.
我想他們既開心又擔心。
It was the chance of a lifetime, but of course I would be thousands of miles from home.
那是一生一次的機會,但我會離家很遠。
Anyway, I studied in Paris for three years and then went back to Tokyo.
不管怎樣,我在巴黎學習了三年然后回到了東京。