Man: So what role do these skills have?
那么,這些技能都扮演著什么樣的角色呢?
Woman: Well, take numeracy.
就拿計算能力來說吧。
The sort of people who reach the upper levels of organisations are all highly numerate.
機構的高層人員都具備優秀的計算能力。
They have the ability to work with numbers at a very sophisticated level.
他們有能力和極其復雜的數字打交道。
So it's important that people can understand numbers and spot a mistake very, very quickly -
因此,能夠理解數字并十分迅速地找到錯誤是很重要的——
even if there are a lot of noughts at the end.
即便后面有一堆零。
Man: What other findings of the committee were important to you?
委員會有沒有其他發現對您來說十分重要?
Woman: Another finding was recognising the importance of work experience.
另一個發現是:意識到工作經驗的重要性。
I think it's true to say that graduates with work experience are much more likely to get a job than those without.
我認為,擁有工作經驗的畢業生比那些沒有的更有可能得到工作。
At Robertson's we employ 25,000 students throughout the country and we're looking to increase that.
我們羅伯森在全國范圍內雇傭了25000名學生,而且我們希望增加這一數字。
We need people with experience of working with others - this makes a big difference.
我們需要有經驗的人,與別人合作過的經驗——這會帶來巨大變化。
Oh, and the third important finding was recognising the importance of applied research.
哦,第三個重要的發現是:意識到應用研究的重要性。
One problem is the gap between the discovery of certain innovations and actually putting them into practice.
一個問題是,某一創新的發現與其實際應用之間存在鴻溝。
That's where,as a country, we don't do as well as some of our competitors.
從國家的角度看,這就是我們沒有一些競爭者做的好的地方。
We've got a wonderful record for pure research but it isn't translated into economic growth.
我們的純理論研究做的很好,但它沒有轉換成經濟增長。
That's where we need to build better links between business and industry, and higher education.
我們需要在企業、產業和高等教育之間建立更好的聯系。在這一點上,我們需要做出努力。