I want to be a good wife to him, I do, but I don’t know how to help.
我想做他的好妻子,可不知該怎么做,
To cheer him, or comfort him.
不知如何來鼓勵他、振奮他,
I don’t know what he needs.
不明白他需要什么。
Please, my lady, you’re his mother, tell me what I should do.”
求求您,夫人,您是他的母親,請您教教我吧。”
Tell me what I should do.
誰來教教我啊?
Catelyn might have asked the same, if her father had been well enough to ask.
凱特琳也想提同樣的問題。如果父親在就好了。
But Lord Hoster was gone, or near enough.
可惜霍斯特公爵已奄奄一息,命不久矣。
Her Ned as well.
奈德也死了。
Bran and Rickon too, and Mother, and Brandon so long ago.
布蘭和瑞肯,母親,還有很久以前的布蘭登,統統都已故去。
Only Robb remained to her, Robb and the fading hope of her daughters.
如今我只剩下羅柏,還有女兒們渺茫的歸還希望。
“Sometimes,” Catelyn said slowly,
“有時候,”凱特琳緩緩地說,
“the best thing you can do is nothing.
“最好的辦法就是什么也不做。
When I first came to Winterfell, I was hurt whenever Ned went to the godswood to sit beneath his heart tree.
當年我初次來到臨冬城,很不習慣我的丈夫奈德常到神木林里、坐在心樹之下。
Part of his soul was in that tree, I knew, a part I would never share.
我明白,他靈魂的一部分在那棵樹里面,而那一部分我永不可能分享;
Yet without that part, I soon realized, he would not have been Ned.
我也明白,除開那一部分,他就不再是奈德了。
Jeyne, child, you have wed the north, as I did … and in the north, the winters will come.”
簡妮,我的孩子,你嫁給了北方,和我一樣……而在北方,你得忍受凜冬的考驗,”
She tried to smile.
她試著微笑,
“Be patient.
“你要忍耐,
Be understanding.
要學會理解。
He loves you and he needs you, and he will come back to you soon enough.
他愛你,需要你,很快就會回到你身邊。
This very night, perhaps.
或許就在今晚。
Be there when he does.
請你耐心等待,
That is all I can tell you.”
這就是我能告訴你的一切。”
The young queen listened raptly.
年輕的王后全神貫注地傾聽。
“I will,” she said when Catelyn was done.
“我會的,”凱特琳說完后她表示,
“I’ll be there.” She got to her feet.
“我會一直等他。”她站起來,
“I should go back.
“我得回去了。
He might have missed me.
陛下可能正在思念我。
I’ll see.
我要照顧他。
But if he’s still at his maps, I’ll be patient.”
就算他繼續看地圖,我也會耐心等待。”
“Do,” said Catelyn, but when the girl was at the door, she thought of something else.
“去吧,孩子,”凱特琳說,當女孩走到門邊時,她忽然想起另一件事。
“Jeyne,” she called after,
“簡妮,”她喊道,
“there’s one more thing Robb needs from you, though he may not know it yet himself.
“羅柏有一件事非常需要你的幫助,雖然他自己可能還不明白。
A king must have an heir.”
國王必須要有繼承人。”
The girl smiled at that.
女孩害羞地微笑,
“My mother says the same.
“我母親也這么說,
She makes a posset for me, herbs and milk and ale, to help make me fertile.
為了讓我懷孕,她用草藥、牛奶和麥酒調飲料,
I drink it every morning.
叫我每天早上都喝。
I told Robb I’m sure to give him twins.
我告訴羅柏,一定會為他產下一對雙胞胎。
An Eddard and a Brandon.
一個叫艾德,一個叫布蘭登。
He liked that, I think.
他聽了很喜歡。
We … we try most every day, my lady.
我們……我們每天都試,夫人。
Sometimes twice or more.”
有時候一天試兩三次呢。”
The girl blushed very prettily.
女孩羞紅的臉分外漂亮,
“I’ll be with child soon, I promise.
“我很快就會有孩子的,我向您保證。
I pray to our Mother Above, every night.”
每天晚上,我都向圣母祈禱。”
“Very good.
“很好,很好。
I will add my prayers as well.
從今往后,我也會加入你的祈禱,
To the old gods and the new.”
向新神舊神同時求告。”
When the girl had gone, Catelyn turned back to her father and smoothed the thin white hair across his brow.
女孩走后,凱特琳回到父親身邊,替他理了理稀疏的白發。
“An Eddard and a Brandon,” she sighed softly.
“一個叫艾德,一個叫布蘭登,”她輕嘆道,
“And perhaps in time a Hoster. Would you like that?”
“第三個就叫霍斯特,您喜歡嗎?”
He did not answer, but she had never expected that he would.
父親沒有回答,她知道他無法回答,
As the sound of the rain on the roof mingled with her father’s breathing, she thought about Jeyne.
四下惟有細雨聲,伴隨著同樣細弱的呼吸。她又想起了簡妮。
The girl did seem to have a good heart, just as Robb had said.
看來羅柏眼光不錯,這女孩的確有一副好心腸。
And good hips, which might be more important.
更重要的是,她的生產能力也很強……