“This is a chance for you, Tyrion, the best you are ever likely to have.”
“這就是獎品,提利昂,是你一輩子最好的機會。”
He drummed his fingers impatiently on the table.
父親的指頭不耐煩地敲打桌面,
“I once hoped to marry your brother to Lysa Tully, but Aerys named Jaime to his Kingsguard before the arrangements were complete.
“從前,我計劃讓你哥娶萊莎·徒利為妻,可惜伊里斯先我一步把詹姆收為鐵衛。
When I suggested to Lord Hoster that Lysa might be wed to you instead, he replied that he wanted a whole man for his daughter.”
我向霍斯特公爵提議用你作代替,他的回答是他們徒利家的女兒要個完人,不要半人。”
So he wed her to Jon Arryn, who was old enough to be her grandfather.
所以他把她嫁給瓊恩·艾林——老得足以當她祖父!
Tyrion was more inclined to be thankful than angry, considering what Lysa Arryn had become.
想到萊莎·艾林如今的樣子,提利昂不由得忘了惱怒,只想謝天謝地。
“When I offered you to Dorne I was told that the suggestion was an insult,” Lord Tywin continued.
“我還拿你向多恩提親,卻被對方當成侮辱,”泰溫公爵續道,
“In later years I had similar answers from Yohn Royce and Leyton Hightower.
“以后數年間,約恩·羅伊斯和雷頓·海塔爾也都拒絕了我的提議。
I finally stooped so low as to suggest you might take the Florent girl Robert deflowered in his brother’s wedding bed,
見你實在娶不了人,我只好降低標準,向佛羅倫家討要那個勞勃在他弟弟婚床上玷污過的女人,
but her father preferred to give her to one of his own household knights.
但他父親寧可將她送給麾下諾科斯家的騎士,也不愿要你。”
“If you will not have the Stark girl, I shall find you another wife.
“今次,你若當真拒絕這個史塔克女孩,我也會為你找個老婆。
Somewhere in the realm there is doubtless some little lordling who’d gladly part with a daughter to win the friendship of Casterly Rock.
七大王國地域廣大,樂意與凱巖城結交的小貴族比比皆是。
Lady Tanda has offered Lollys …”
例如,坦妲伯爵夫人正式提出以洛麗絲……”
Tyrion gave a shudder of dismay.
提利昂慌忙否定:
“I’d sooner cut it off and feed it to the goats.”
“她?她若過來,我把她大卸八塊,喂山羊吃。”
“Then open your eyes.
“既然你不傻,就給我面對現實!
The Stark girl is young, nubile, tractable, of the highest birth, and still a maid.
這史塔克女孩年輕、漂亮、溫順,不僅出身高貴,還是個真真正正的處女。
She is not uncomely.
條件這么好,
Why would you hesitate?”
你還猶豫什么?”
Why indeed?
我在猶豫什么?
“A quirk of mine.
“請原諒,就個人而言,
Strange to say, I would prefer a wife who wants me in her bed.”
我更想要個樂意跟我上床的老婆。”
“If you think your whores want you in their bed, you are an even greater fool than I suspected,” said Lord Tywin.
“你以為那些跟你上床的婊子都心甘情愿嗎?不可救藥的大傻瓜!”泰溫公爵說,
“You disappoint me, Tyrion.
“你太讓我失望了,提利昂。
I had hoped this match would please you.”
我本認為這個提議會讓你滿意。”
“Yes, we all know how important my pleasure is to you, Father.
“是啊,咱倆都清楚您有多在乎我的感受。
But there’s more to this.
算了,說說實質問題,
The key to the north, you say?
你說解決北方的關鍵在于珊莎·史塔克?
The Greyjoys hold the north now, and King Balon has a daughter.
但眼下北方的主人是葛雷喬伊,他家也有個女兒,
Why Sansa Stark, and not her?”
為何要我娶珊莎·史塔克,而不是她?”
He looked into his father’s cool green eyes with their bright flecks of gold.
他望進父親的眼睛,那對閃爍著明亮金光的冰冷綠眸。
Lord Tywin steepled his fingers beneath his chin.
泰溫公爵十指交叉,頂著下巴。
“Balon Greyjoy thinks in terms of plunder, not rule.
“巴隆·葛雷喬伊滿腦子想的都是劫掠,根本不懂統治之道。
Let him enjoy an autumn crown and suffer a northern winter.
就讓他享受一秋的王冠,然后經歷北境的寒冬吧,
He will give his subjects no cause to love him.
你瞧好,北方人很快會起來造反,
Come spring, the northmen will have had a bellyful of krakens.
等春天一到,海怪們就得被扔出去。
When you bring Eddard Stark’s grandson home to claim his birthright,
到那時候,你護送艾德·史塔克的孫子榮歸故里,
lords and little folk alike will rise as one to place him on the high seat of his ancestors.
接受貴族與平民的朝拜,你的孩子將坐上古老的王座——
You are capable of getting a woman with child, I hope?”
我希望,你有生孩子的能力吧?”
“I believe I am,” he said, bristling.
“我相信我能,”他生硬地說,
“I confess, I cannot prove it.
“雖然得承認,我還沒證明過。
Though no one can say I have not tried.
你瞧,我可是試了又試,
Why, I plant my little seeds just as often as I can …”
把我小小的種子播在……”
“In the gutters and the ditches,” finished Lord Tywin,
“陰溝和糞坑里,”泰溫公爵替他說完,
“and in common ground where only bastard weeds take root.
“在那種地方,也只可能留下麻煩的雜種。
It is past time you kept your own garden.”
你該負起責任來,清理后花園了。”
He rose to his feet.
他站起身,
“You shall never have Casterly Rock, I promise you.
“我說過,決不會把凱巖城傳給你,
But wed Sansa Stark, and it is just possible that you might win Winterfell.”
但是,我可以給你珊莎·史塔克,給你臨冬城。”
Tyrion Lannister, Lord Protector of Winterfell.
臨冬城攝政提利昂·蘭尼斯特。
The prospect gave him a queer chill.
想到這兒,他不禁奇怪地渾身顫抖。
“Very good, Father,” he said slowly,
“很公平,父親,”他緩緩地說,
“but there’s a big ugly roach in your rushes.
“但在你整個計劃里面,有個極大的障礙:
Robb Stark is as capable as I am, presumably, and sworn to marry one of those fertile Freys.
羅柏·史塔克的生產能力想必不在我之下,而他又和素有豐饒之名的佛雷家族訂了親,
And once the Young Wolf sires a litter, any pups that Sansa births are heirs to nothing.”
如此一來,只要少狼主生出個小崽兒,那珊莎的孩子就什么也繼承不了了。”
Lord Tywin was unconcerned.
泰溫公爵不為所動,
“Robb Stark will father no children on his fertile Frey, you have my word.
“我跟你保證,羅柏·史塔克和豐饒的佛雷家族之間沒有關系。
There is a bit of news I have not yet seen fit to share with the council, though no doubt the good lords will hear it soon enough.
有個小新聞我沒在御前會議上講,但這些大人們很快就會知道: