You do not want to get rich solely to enjoy mental pleasures,
此外,如果當你發現生活的目標不過是滿足心理需求,
to get knowledge, to gratify ambition, to outshine others, to be famous.
即不斷地獲取知識,讓自己的雄心壯志得以實現,以無限的光芒照耀別人,讓身邊的人全都相形見絀,你大概會感到有些失落。
All these are a legitimate part of life,
其實,這一切都是構成真正生活的要素,
but the man who lives for the pleasures of the intellect alone will only have a partial life, and he will never be satisfied with his lot.
但是,僅僅滿足了心理需求的生活是不完整的,任何人都不會就此而心滿意足。
You do not want to get rich solely for the good of others, to lose yourself for the salvation of mankind, to experience the joys of philanthropy and sacrifice.
最后,即使你能夠做到為了他人犧牲自我,全心地投入到關乎國計民生的社會公益及慈善事業當中,并且相當享受由此所帶來的種種愉悅感,我也不能說你就已經完全領略了生活的真諦。
The joys of the soul are only a part of life;
真正的生活當中固然包含了陶冶和愉悅靈魂,但這從來都不是生活的全部,
and they are no better or nobler than any other part.
而且無論從任何角度來說,這部分的生活也不會比生活的其他組成要素更高貴,或者說更好!
You want to get rich in order that you may eat, drink, and be merry when it is time to do these things;
你想致富,因為你想在任何自已想盡享美食和歡樂的時候都能如愿以償:
in order that you may surround yourself with beautiful things, see distant lands, feed your mind, and develop your intellect;
你想致富,因為你希望自已能夠擁有世界上所有的美好事物,能夠去領略遙遠異鄉的風土人情,能夠享有足夠的精神食糧,讓自己變得更聰慧;
in order that you may love men and do kind things, and be able to play a good part in helping the world to find truth.
你想致富,因為你熱愛生活,關心他人,希望自己能夠在有限的生命當中盡情釋放自己的能量,讓自己變得更精彩、更充實!
But remember that extreme altruism is no better and no nobler than extreme selfishness;
不過,我想提醒你的是,完全的利他主義并不比自私自利更高尚。
both are mistakes.
事實上,兩者的本質是一樣的,都是錯誤的生活態度。
Get rid of the idea that God wants you to sacrifice yourself for others,
拋棄所謂的上天希望你能為他人犧牲自已的錯誤思想吧,
and that you can secure his favor by doing so;
事實上,上天并不會因為你的這一做法而格外垂青于你,
God requires nothing of the kind.
因為上天從來沒有過一絲一毫這樣的想法。
What he wants is that you should make the most of yourself, for yourself, and for others;
而整個生活希望看到的是,你在人生的舞臺上最大限度地展現自我,享受生活,不僅僅是為你自己,也是為他人,
and you can help others more by making the most of yourself than in cry other way.
因為這是履行生命職責和義務的最好方式,也是對他人最好的幫助。
You can make the most of yourself only by getting rich;
要想在人生舞臺上最大限度地展現自我,致富是惟一的途徑。
so it is right and praiseworthy that you should give your first and best thought to the work of acquiring wealth.
因此,將致富列為首要目標,并為此投人所有精力的人自然就是這世上最明智的人,這一行為自然也是所有行為當中最值得贊揚和鼓勵的一種。
Remember, however, that the desire of Substance is for all, and its movements must be for more life to all;
不過,當你這樣做的時候,請千萬記住這一物質的渴望必須完整包含生活的全部,而且其面向的對象是字宙中所有有生命的物質。
it cannot be made to work for less life to any,
所以,任何方面的缺失都是對它的誤解。
because it is equally in all, seeking riches and life.
如同世間萬物皆平等一樣,這一物質渴望的每一個組成部分都是平等的,它們共有同一個目標:追求財富和完整的生活。
Intelligent Substance will make things for you, but it will not take things away from some one else and give them to you.
當你能做到這一點時,前文所提到的智能物質便會為你準備好一切所需的工具或資源,不過,這并不意味著另一個人就會因此而失去什么。
You must get rid of the thought of competition.
在這門致富的科學當中,根本不存在任何不正當的競爭,所以你必須拋棄過去那種競爭觀念。
You are to create, not to compete for what is already created.
你所做的一切都是在創造,但創造的目的并不是為了與那些已經存在的事物競爭。
You do not have to take anything away from any one.
因此,你根本無須從任何人那里奪走任何東西。
You do not have to drive sharp bargains.
你也無須為了任何事物與他人討價還價。
You do not have to cheat, or to take advantage.
你也無須為了達到目的而欺騙他人,或是占他人的便宜,
You do not need to let any man work for you for less than he earns.
更無須利用他人的廉價勞動力,剝削他人。
You do not have to covet the property of others, or to look at it with wishful eyes;
只要你掌握了這門致富的科學,你就不再需要對他人的財產垂涎三尺,更無須用嫉妒的眼光打量他們。
no man has anything of which you cannot have the like, and that without taking what he has away from him.
要知道,這世上沒有任何東西是別人有而你卻無法得到的,而所有這一切都不需要以剝奪他人的財產為代價。
You are to become a creator, not a competitor;
你將會成為一名偉大的創造者,而并非競爭者;
you are going to get what you want, but in such a way that when you get it every other man will have more than he has now.
你完全可以得到任何你想要的東西,只不過,當你得到它的時候,其他人則會得到更多。
I am aware that there are men who get a vast amount of money by proceeding in direct opposition to the statements in the paragraph above,
我非常清楚,有人已經通過上文中陳述的方法成功獲取了大量的財富,
and may add a word of explanation here.
也許對此,他們比我更有發言權。
Men of the plutocratic type, who become very rich, do so sometimes purely by their extraordinary ability on the plane of competition;
有一類人,他們異常富裕,卓越的能力讓他們在激烈的競爭當中異軍突起,從而使得他們成功地獲取了大量的財富,
and sometimes, they unconsciously relate themselves to Substance
所以有時候,他們根本意識不到自己獲取的財富歸根結底不過是工業革命的成果,
in its great purposes and movements for the general racial upbuilding through industrial evolution.
而這一切正是智能物質存在和運動的結果,其目的就在于提升人類社會的總體財富。
Rockefeller,Carnegie, Morgan, et al., have been the unconscious agents of the Supreme
洛克菲勒、卡內基、摩根等商業巨賈就是這場變革當中的代表人物。
in the necessary work of systematizing and organizing productive industry;
在這一巨大力量的推動下,工業生產力在系統化和有機化之后煥發了巨大的活力,而洛克菲勒等人恰恰是把握住了這一商機,
and in the end, their work will contribute immensely toward increased life for all.
不過,你卻不必為此而嫉妒他們,因為他們的工作最終將為整個人類做出巨大的貢獻,你的生活也會因此而變得更加充實。
Their day is nearly over;
而且,他們的時代即將結束,
they have organized production, and will soon be succeeded by the agents of the mulitude,
他們已經為我們建立好了下一步工作的框架,一個更加多元化的社會將會取而代之,新時代的代表人物也會隨之涌現,
who will organize the machinery of distribution.
他們將會成為機械化大分工的執行者。