Get enough shut-eye.
好好睡一覺。
Just as short changing your sleep can make you grumpy, making time for sleep can boost your mood.
就像短暫改變睡眠會讓你脾氣暴躁一樣,抽出時間睡覺也能提升你的心境。
"A lot of people know that sleep is good," says Adam Krause, a psychology fellow and doctoral candidate at UC Berkeley,
“很多人都知道睡眠很好,”加州大學伯克利分校的心理學研究員和博士生亞當·克勞斯說,
"but some are forced to sacrifice sleep because they have other things taking up their time."
“但有些人被迫犧牲睡眠,因為有其他事情占用他們的時間。”
In fact, Ian and I tried to get more sleep during the course, but our busy lifestyles made it difficult.
事實上,我和伊恩試著在上課時多睡一會兒,但我們繁忙的生活方式讓這變得很難做到。
To conclude the course, Ian and I each had to commit to a happiness promoting activity for four weeks.
為了完成這門課,我和伊恩每人都要參加一個為期四周的提升快樂的活動。
Ian decided to exercise more, and I decided to get more sleep.
伊恩決定多鍛煉,我決定多睡一會兒。
The first week, Ian went to the gym four times.
第一周,伊恩去了四次健身房。
During his initial visit, he texted me a treadmill photo because he was so excited to be there.
他最初去健身房時,給我發了一張跑步機的照片,因為他很興奮能去健身房。
That same week, I set an alarm to signal myself to get ready for bed.
就在同一周,我設置了一個鬧鐘,提醒自己去睡覺。
After a few days, I was so well-rested that I woke up earlier than usual
幾天后,我得到了很好的休息,比平常醒得早,
to spend quality time with my teenage daughter while she got ready for school,
在我十幾歲的女兒準備上學時和她一起度過了美好的時光,
and I was much more productive during the day.
我白天的工作效率也大大提高了。
The remainder of our four-week challenge didn't go as flawlessly, but when we kept up with our goals, we felt happier.
我們四周挑戰的剩余時間過得并非完美無瑕,但當我們跟上設定的目標時,我們感到更快樂。
And we walked away from the experience with a desire to follow through on our commitments.
我們帶著履行自己承諾的愿望結束了這段經歷。
Ian bought a treadmill. And I still have an alarm that rings when it's bedtime.
伊恩買了一臺跑步機,我還有一個鬧鐘會在睡覺時響起。
The idea that you can make incremental gains in happiness is "one of the reasons folks are so intrigued by the course," Santos says.
桑托斯說:“人們對這門課如此感興趣的原因之一是,你可以在快樂中獲得更多收益。
"You can work on it. In fact, you should."