How to Feel Happier Today
今天如何感到更快樂
Written by Lisa Fields
麗莎·菲爾茲撰稿
When I learned that the most popular course in the history of Yale University-a psychology class designed to teach students how to become happier—
當我得知耶魯大學歷史上最受歡迎的課程,即一門旨在教學生如何變得更快樂的心理學課程,
was available online to anyone who wanted to take it, I decided I had to see what it was all about.
任何人都能在網上學習時,我決定要看看這門課教授些什么。
After all, I've been writing about happiness for years,
畢竟,多年來我一直撰寫關于幸福的文章,
offering techniques and advice from researchers who found that this idea or that habit can boost well-being.
把我從研究人員那里獲得的技術和建議告訴大家,研究人員發現這種想法或習慣可以促進幸福感。
I was curious to see what Yale professor Laurie Santos was recommending, but I assumed I'd already be familiar with many of the concepts.
我很想看看耶魯大學教授勞里·桑托斯會建議哪些內容,但我想我已經對很多概念都很熟悉。
So I invited my boyfriend, Ian, to take the course with me.
所以,我邀請男友伊恩和我一起上這門課。
I wanted to see how someone who hadn't heard it all before reacted.
我想看看一個沒有聽說過這方面內容的人會作何反應。
Santos's online course consists of 19 hours of video lectures and is supposed to take ten weeks to complete,
桑托斯的在線課程包括19個小時的視頻講座,預計要用10周完成,
but Ian and I spent three months soaking up what she had to offer.
但我和伊恩花了三個月的時間學習她所提供的內容。
We learned that the things we tend to think will make us happier—
我們了解到,那些我們傾向于認為會讓我們更快樂的事情,
bigger paychecks, nicer homes, trimmer bodies—don't actually add joy to our lives.
比如更高的薪水、更好的房子、更苗條的身材,實際上并不能給我們的生活增添快樂。
But practices such as exercising more, socializing, getting enough sleep, and prioritizing free time over making money do.
但是,諸如多運動、社交、充足的睡眠、留些空閑時間而不是只想著賺錢等做法確實有效。
"These constant practices are really what's required to boost your happiness," Santos told me after Ian and I completed her course.
我和伊恩完成她的課程后,桑托斯告訴我:“這些不斷的練習確實是提高幸福感的必要條件。
"It's like a tire that you put air into.
就像一個輪胎,你把空氣打進去。
Occasionally it leaks, and you have to put more air into it.
它偶爾會漏氣,你得多打些空氣進去。
It's not a one-time thing where you learn it and you're good.
這不是一錘子買賣,你學完后就萬事大吉了。
You actually have to put the work in.
實際上,你得去努力實踐。
Although part of the course focuses on the desire to get good grades and land the perfect job,
雖然這門課的部分重點是希望取得好成績、找到完美的工作,
we realized that these lessons aren't helpful just for college students;
但我們意識到,這些課程不僅對大學生有幫助;
Ian and I are both middle-aged, with six children between us, and most of what Santos said was relevant to us.
我和伊恩都是中年人,我們養育了六個孩子,桑托斯所說的大部分內容都與我們有關。
"What the science suggests is that these tips apply cross-culturally, across ages, and no matter what job you have," Santos says.
“科學表明,這些技巧跨越文化和年齡,而且無論你從事什么工作都適用,”桑托斯說。
After taking the course, I'm convinced that anyone who adopts and practices the strategies
學習完這門課程后,我確信,任何人只要采納并實踐桑托斯建議的策略,
that Santos suggests can truly become happier.
就能真正變得更快樂。
Here are our favorite takeaways.
下面就是我們最喜歡的一些技巧。