My husband and his sister are notorious yakkers.
我丈夫和他妹妹都是超有名的話癆,
They can hold court on any subject. One day, he called her.
他們可以就任何問題大聊特聊。一天,他打電話給他的妹妹。
All he had to say was "Hi," and that launched her into a marathon session, going on about this, that, and the other.
他只說了一聲“嗨”,就讓她開始了一場馬拉松式的會話,談論著這個,談論那個,還有其他的事情。
When she finally paused to come up for air, she had one question: "Who am I talking to?"
當她終于停下來休息時,她問了一個問題:“我在和誰說話?”
A few of us were discussing the perils of drinking and driving when my five-year-old granddaughter threw in her two cents.
我們幾個人正在討論酒后駕車的危險,這時我五歲的孫女扔了兩分錢。
"I can see why it would be dangerous to drink and drive," she said.
“我明白為什么酒后駕車很危險,”她說,
"The straw could go up your nose."
“吸管會進到你的鼻子里。”
It always irked my single mother that her grocery store didn't carry eggs in packages of six—just by the dozen.
我的單親媽媽總是很惱火,因為她的雜貨店沒有六個一包的雞蛋。
Then one day, her wish came true.
后來有一天,她的愿望實現了。
She walked into the grocery and found fresh eggs in cartons of six.
她走進雜貨店,發現一盒六個的新鮮雞蛋。
"I was so excited," she told us later, "that I bought two!"
“我太興奮了,”她后來告訴我們,“于是我就買了兩盒!”
Suffering from an unsightly scaly rash, my friend Denise made an appointment with a dermatologist who happened to be very attractive.
我的朋友丹尼斯得了鱗屑疹,樣子很難看,他預約了一位碰巧很有魅力的皮膚科醫生。
After a full examination, the doctor cocked his head and asked, "Denise, did you get your hair done?"
在進行全面檢查之后,醫生仰著頭問道:“丹尼斯,你做頭發了嗎?”
"Why, yes. Thank you for noticing," said Denise, flattered.
“為什么問這個,做過了。謝謝你注意到了,”丹尼斯受寵若驚地說。
"I thought so," the doctor replied. "Be-cause your scalp looks red and irritated."
“我想也是,”醫生回答說,“因為你的頭皮發紅、看起來像受了刺激。”