We all need food and water to survive.
我們都需要食物和水才能生存。
You've seen how invisible bacteria can make food inedible, but seemingly clean water can be dangerous too.
你已經了解到看不見的細菌是如何使食物變得無法食用,表面上干凈的水也可能是危險的。
Water pollution is a growing problem that could seriously affect your health.
水污染是一個日益嚴重的問題,可能嚴重影響你的健康。
How does water pollution affect you?
水污染對你有什么影響?
Near the beach house and there's a lot of times like stuff washes up on the beach and just stuff people throw away.
在海灘小屋附近,很多時候像會有東西沖到海灘上,這些都是被人們扔掉的。
I went to Mexico and you could only drink bottled water because of water pollution.
我去墨西哥時,因為水污染,只能喝瓶裝水。
Water pollution affects me because I can't kayak in polluted water.
水污染影響了我,因為我不能在污染的水里劃獨木舟。
Three-fourths of the earth's surface is covered by water.
地球表面的四分之三被水覆蓋。
With so much water, it's hard to believe people could have much of an effect on such a seemingly limitless resource.
這么多的水,很難相信人們會對這樣一個看似無限的資源產生多大的影響。
But water is not limitless and with every passing day, our water system is becoming more and more polluted.
但是水并不是無限的,隨著時間的推移,我們的水系統越來越受到污染。
When you think about pollution, you probably think about air pollution caused by cars and factories.
考慮到污染時,你可能會想到汽車和工廠造成的空氣污染。
But another kind of pollution may be more dangerous to our survival.
但是另一種污染對我們的生存可能更危險。
Water pollution.
水污染。
What is water pollution?
什么是水污染?
Water pollution is any change to water that has a harmful effect on people or other living things.
水污染是指對人或其他生物產生有害影響的,有關水的任何變化。
Humans cause most pollution.
人類造成了大部分污染。
Many of our activities, agriculture, industry construction and mining produce wastes that can end up in water.
我們的許多活動,農業,工業建筑和采礦產生的廢物最終會進入水中。
Everything we make eventually gets thrown away.
我們制造的一切最終都會被扔掉。
What we throw away ends up in landfills and everything that ends up in a landfill eventually leeches into the ground.
我們扔掉的東西最終會進入垃圾填埋場,這些廢物最終都會埋入土地。
These materials can enter the ground water and make their way into the ocean.
這些物質可以進入地下水源中,然后進入海洋。
This is a mountain of garbage from New York City 150 feet high.
這是紐約市150英尺高的垃圾堆。
It is already the largest trash pile in the history of the human species.
它已經成為人類歷史上最大的垃圾堆。
It's located on a small island off the coast of Maine.
它位于緬因州海岸的一個小島上。
Many products are made of synthetic molecules that never existed in nature before we created them.
許多產品由合成分子制成,在我們創造出它們之前,這些分子在自然界中從未存在過。
And many are dangerous to plants and animals.
許多對動植物都是危險的。
Even things like sun blocks that wash off our bodies at the beach can kill microorganisms in the water and disrupt the food chain.
即使像在海灘時,從我們身體上沖走的防曬霜這樣的東西,也能殺死水中的微生物,破壞食物鏈。