The song is about cheating on your significant other.
這首歌是關于出軌的。
Now, around the time that this song was in heavy rotation,
在這首歌特別流行的時候,
biologists were in deep discussion about whether bird species,
生物學家們深刻討論了鳥類,
notably songbirds and waterfowl were actually monogamous or not.
特別是夜鶯和水禽類是否真的是一夫一妻制。
See, for decades, generations of science students were taught that well over 90 percent of the bird species were monogamous.
幾十年來,一代又一代的科學專業學生們學到的觀念是:超過90%種類的鳥是一夫一妻制。
A male and female mating faithfully for life.
一雌一雄彼此一生忠貞不渝。
That was until the late 1980s, when a new laboratory technique came on the scene,
直到二十世紀八十年代末,一項新的實驗技術問世了。
which could copy DNA from a small tissue or fluid sample and decode the genetics of individuals.
這項技術能夠從少量組織或液體樣本中復制DNA,然后解碼個體的基因。
Now, before that technique, we were never ever certain about, 100 percent,
在這項技術出現之前,我們從來都不百分百確定,
who the parents of baby birds were. All we had were our field notes.
鳥寶寶的父母到底是誰。我們那時所有的證據只有現場考察的筆記。
And we would know which adults lived in a nest and which ones fed the baby birds.
根據這些筆記,我們知道了哪些成年鳥住在鳥巢中,哪些喂養鳥寶寶。
Well, come to find out, study after study kept coming in and we found so much evidence of infidelity
后來越來越多的研究表明,我們發現了大量出軌的證據,
among bird species, particularly these songbirds that we thought were the pinnacle of monogamy.
存在于鳥類之間,尤其是鳴禽之間,而我們以為鳴禽是最踐行一夫一妻制的種類了。
It would have made Maury Povich jealous for the ratings.
(如果公開結果)這是讓莫里·波維奇(美國脫口秀名人)都嫉妒的收視率。
It rocked biology and ornithology so hard, we had to modify and expand the entire definition of monogamy.
這一事實深刻地震撼了生物學和鳥類學界,我們不得不修正和擴大一夫一妻制的整個定義。