And that brings me to my second story -- standing up for your values and principles.
下面是我的第二個故事,關于堅持你的價值觀及原則。
It does not always work. Let me give you an example.
并不總是奏效的。我給你們舉個例子。
I highly highly respect my fellow human beings.
我非常非常尊重我的人類同胞。
And as a young student, I just could not, and I still to this day, cannot accept the death penalty.
當我是一個年輕學生的時候,我不能,直到今天我也不能接受死刑。
So I decided to go to law school in France and become a criminal lawyer and defend death penalty cases.
因此,我決定去法國的一所法學院,成為一名刑事律師并為死刑案件辯護。
So much for my own values and standing up for them.
我就是如此的堅持并維護我自己的價值觀。
And fortunately, in the meantime, a new President was elected in my country.
很幸運的是,就在同時,我的祖國選出了一位新總統。
And his first act was to actually abolish the death penalty.
他的第一個行動就是廢除死刑。
As a young lawyer, I interviewed with the best law firm in the country.
作為一名年輕的律師,我參加了全國最好的律師事務所的面試。
I was told that I was hired right away and would be paid a high salary. So far so good.
有人告訴我,我會馬上被聘用,薪水也很高。一切都不錯。
But then I was told that I would never make partnership.
但之后我被告知永遠不會成為合作人。
So I said, why is that?
我就問,問什么呢?
They said, "Well, it's because you're a woman."
他們說,“那是因為你是一名女性。”
So I looked at them fiercely, walked out the door, ran down the stairs, and never looked back.
所以我狠狠地看著他們,走出門,跑下樓梯,再也沒有回頭。
Actually, I should have said, I should have said "thank you" that day.
其實我那天應該說聲謝謝的。
I felt much stronger, much better yet I didn't have a job.
即使沒有工作,我也感覺更加堅強,更出色。
In many ways, a situation like that is just inconceivable in today's corporate world.
在當今的企業界,這樣的情景在很多方面都是不可想象的。
Any recruiter uttering these words would almost certainly face a discrimination lawsuit. And that is good.
任何說這些話的招聘人員幾乎都會面臨歧視訴訟。這一點真好。