and lastly, the two days preceding that on which your sisters are expected will be devoted by Hannah and me to such a beating of eggs,
最后,你妹妹們預計到達之前的兩天,漢娜和我要大打其雞蛋,
sorting of currants, grating of spices, compounding of Christmas cakes, chopping up of materials for mince-pies,
細揀葡萄干,研磨調料,做圣誕餅,
and solemnising of other culinary rites, as words can convey but an inadequate notion of to the uninitiated like you.
剁肉餡餅料子,隆重操持其他烹飪習俗。對你這樣的門外漢,連語言也難以充分表達這番忙碌。
My purpose, in short, is to have all things in an absolutely perfect state of readiness for Diana and Mary before next Thursday;
總之,我的目的是下星期四黛安娜和瑪麗到家之前,使一切都安排得妥妥貼貼。
and my ambition is to give them a beau-ideal of a welcome when they come."
我的雄心就是她們到時給予最理想的歡迎。”
St. John smiled slightly: still he was dissatisfied.
圣·約翰微微一笑,仍不滿意。
"It is all very well for the present," said he;
“眼下說來這都不錯,”他說,
"but seriously, I trust that when the first flush of vivacity is over, you will look a little higher than domestic endearments and household joys."
“不過認真地說,我相信第一陣快活的沖動過后,你的眼界不會局限于家人的親熱和家庭的歡樂。”
"The best things the world has!" I interrupted.
“人世間最好的東西,”我打斷了他說。
"No, Jane, no: this world is not the scene of fruition;
“不,簡,這個世界不是享樂的天地,
do not attempt to make it so: nor of rest; do not turn slothful."
別去想把它變成這樣,或者變成休憩的樂園,不要懈怠懶惰。”
"I mean, on the contrary, to be busy."
“恰恰相反,我的意思是要大忙一番。”
"Jane, I excuse you for the present: two months' grace I allow you for the full enjoyment of your new position,
“簡,我暫時諒解你,給你兩個月的寬限,充分享受你新職位的樂趣,
and for pleasing yourself with this late-found charm of relationship;
也為最近找到親戚而陶醉一番。
but then, I hope you will begin to look beyond Moor House and Morton,
但以后,我希望你開始把眼光放遠些,不要光盯著沼澤居和莫爾頓,
and sisterly society, and the selfish calm and sensual comfort of civilised affluence.
盯著姐妹圈子,盯著自己的寧靜,盯著文明富裕所帶來的肉體享受。
I hope your energies will then once more trouble you with their strength."
我希望到那時你的充沛精力會再次讓你不安。”
I looked at him with surprise.
我驚訝地看著他。
"St. John," I said,
“圣·約翰,”我說,
"I think you are almost wicked to talk so.
“我認為你這樣說是近乎惡毒了。
I am disposed to be as content as a queen, and you try to stir me up to restlessness!
我本希望象女皇那樣稱心如意,而你卻要弄得我不得安寧!
To what end?"
你安的什么心?”