The ordinary sitting-room and bedrooms I left much as they were:
普通的起居室和寢室我大體保持原樣,
for I knew Diana and Mary would derive more pleasure from seeing again the old homely tables,
因為我知道,黛安娜和瑪麗又一次看到樸實的桌子、
and chairs, and beds, than from the spectacle of the smartest innovations.
椅子和床,會比看到最時髦的整修更愉快。
Still some novelty was necessary, to give to their return the piquancy with which I wished it to be invested.
不過賦予某些新意還是必要的,使她們回家的時候有一種我所希望的生氣。
Dark handsome new carpets and curtains, an arrangement of some carefully selected antique ornaments in porcelain and bronze,
添上黑色漂亮的新地毯、新窗簾、幾件經過精心挑選的、古色古香的瓷器和銅器擺設,
new coverings, and mirrors, and dressing-cases, for the toilet tables, answered the end:
還有新床罩、鏡子和化妝臺上的化妝盒等等,便達到了這一目的。
they looked fresh without being glaring.
它們看上去鮮艷而不耀眼。
A spare parlour and bedroom I refurnished entirely, with old mahogany and crimson upholstery:
一間空余的客廳和寢室,用舊紅木家具和大紅套子重新布置了一下。
I laid canvas on the passage, and carpets on the stairs.
我在過道上鋪了帆布,樓梯上鋪了地毯。
When all was finished, I thought Moor House as complete a model of bright modest snugness within,
一切都完成以后,我想在這個季節里沼澤居既是室內光亮舒適的典范,
as it was, at this season, a specimen of wintry waste and desert dreariness without.
又是室外寒冬枯葉、荒蕪凄涼的標本
The eventful Thursday at length came.
不平凡的星期四終于到來了。
They were expected about dark, and ere dusk fires were lit upstairs and below; the kitchen was in perfect trim;
估計她們約摸天黑時到。黃昏前樓上樓下都生了火,廚房里清清爽爽。
Hannah and I were dressed, and all was in readiness.
漢娜和我都穿戴好了,一切都已收拾停當。