Conversation A
對話A
Taylor: It is a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Chapman.
泰勒:查普曼太太,很高興認識你。
Susie: Taylor, what are you talking about?
蘇西:泰勒,你在說什么?
Taylor: Oh, hi, Susie. I'm trying to sound more formal.
泰勒:哦,嗨,蘇西。我試著講話聽起來更正式一點。
Susie: Why?
蘇西:為什么?
Taylor: I'm going to a fancy dinner party tonight.
泰勒:我今晚要去參加一場正式晚宴。
Susie: Do you want me to help you practice?
蘇西:你要我幫你練習嗎?
Taylor: Yes, please! Should I use big words?
泰勒:好,麻煩你了!我應該使用生僻的詞匯嗎?
Susie: No. But be careful how you speak.
蘇西:不需要,可是要注意你說話的方式。
Conversation B
對話B
Taylor: What do you mean, Susie?
泰勒:蘇西,你這么說是什么意思?
Susie: Well, speaking in the passive often sounds more formal. It's less personal.
蘇西:這個嘛,以被動語態說話聽起來通常會比較正式。這樣不個人化。
Taylor: Can you give me an example?
泰勒:你可以舉個例子嗎?
Susie: Yes. Don't say, "We'll serve the next course soon." Say, "The next course will be served soon."
蘇西:可以。不要說“我們很快就會上下一道菜”,要說“下一道菜很快就會上了”。
Taylor: Oh! I should say, "Ice cream will be served for dessert", not, "We'll serve ice cream for dessert."
泰勒:哦!所以我應該說“冰淇淋將會被端上當甜點”,而不該說“我們供應的甜點是冰淇淋。”
Susie: Yes, that's perfect!
蘇西:沒錯,這樣就對了!