Conversation A
對話A
Alex: Hmm.
阿萊克斯:嗯。
Rob: What are you reading, Alex?
羅布:阿萊克斯,你在看什么?
Alex: It's a letter from my bank.
阿萊克斯:這是我的銀行寄來的一封信。
Rob: That sounds serious.
羅布:聽起來很嚴肅。
Alex: Yes. I need to write them back. I should write a formal letter.
阿萊克斯:是啊,我必須回信,我應該寫一封正式信函。
Rob: Yes, banks expect formal writing.
羅布:沒錯,銀行會期待收到正式的寫作方式。
Alex: Will you help me?
阿萊克斯:你愿意幫我嗎?
Rob: Sure. You should write in complete sentences. Your grammar must be perfect, too.
羅布:沒問題。你應該寫出完整句子。語法也必須正確無誤。
Conversation B
對話B
Alex: What else should I do?
阿萊克斯:我還應該做什么?
Rob: Well, don't use any contractions. They make your language less formal.
羅布:這個嘛,不要使用縮略形式詞語。那樣會讓你的語言顯得比較不正式。
Alex: What's a contraction?
阿萊克斯:縮略形式詞語是什么呀?
Rob: You just used one. What's is a contraction of what is.
羅布:你剛剛就說了一個。what's是what is的縮略形式。
Alex: Oh, I understand. I should write you are, not you're.
阿萊克斯:哦,我懂了。我應該寫you are,而不是you're。
Rob: Yes, and write cannot, not can't.
羅布:沒錯,而且也要寫cannot,不要寫can't。
Alex: Thanks, Rob. I'll write my reply now.
阿萊克斯:謝了,羅布。我現在就來寫回信。