"You tremble and become flushed whenever Miss Oliver enters the schoolroom."
“無論什么時候,奧利弗小姐一走進教室你就顫抖起來、臉漲得通紅。”
Again the surprised expression crossed his face.
他臉上再次浮起驚訝的表情。
He had not imagined that a woman would dare to speak so to a man.
他想象不到一個女人居然敢于這么同一個男人說話。
For me, I felt at home in this sort of discourse.
至于我,這—類交談我非常習慣。
I could never rest in communication with strong, discreet, and refined minds, whether male or female,
我與很有頭腦、言語謹慎、富有教養的人交際的時候,不管是男人還是女人,
till I had passed the outworks of conventional reserve, and crossed the threshold of confidence, and won a place by their heart's very hearthstone.
我非要繞過緘默的傳統防衛工事,踏進奧秘的門檻,在心坎的火爐邊上找到一個位置才肯罷休。
"You are original," said he, "and not timid.
“你確實見解獨到,”他說,“膽子也不小
There is something brave in your spirit, as well as penetrating in your eye;
你的精神中有一種勇氣,你的眼睛有一種穿透力,
but allow me to assure you that you partially misinterpret my emotions.
可是請允許我向你保證,你部份誤解了我的情感。
You think them more profound and potent than they are.
你把這些情感想象得比實際的要深沉,要強烈。
You give me a larger allowance of sympathy than I have a just claim to.
你給了我甚于我正當要求的同情。
When I colour, and when I shade before Miss Oliver, I do not pity myself.
我在奧利弗小姐面前臉紅,顫抖時,我不是憐憫自己,
I scorn the weakness.
而是蔑視我的弱點。
I know it is ignoble: a mere fever of the flesh: not, I declare, the convulsion of the soul.
我知道這并不光彩,它不過是肉體的狂熱,我宣布,不是靈魂的抽搐。
That is just as fixed as a rock, firm set in the depths of a restless sea.
那靈魂堅加磐石,牢牢扎在騷動不安的大海深處。
Know me to be what I am -- a cold hard man."
你知道我是怎么個人——一個冷酷無情的人。”
I smiled incredulously.
我懷疑地笑了笑。
"You have taken my confidence by storm," he continued, "and now it is much at your service.
“你用突然襲擊的辦法掏出了我的心里話,”他繼續說,“現在就聽任你擺布了,
I am simply, in my original state -- stripped of that blood-bleached robe with which Christianity covers human deformity -- a cold, hard, ambitious man.
剝去用基督教義來掩蓋人性缺陷、漂凈了血污的袍子,我本是個冷酷無情雄心勃勃的人。
Natural affection only, of all the sentiments, has permanent power over me.
只有各種天生的情感會對我產生永久的力量。