CHAPTER XXXIII
第三十三章
WHEN Mr. St. John went, it was beginning to snow; the whirling storm continued all night.
圣·約翰先生走掉后,天開始下雪了。暴風雷刮了整整一夜。
The next day a keen wind brought fresh and blinding falls; by twilight the valley was drifted up and almost impassable.
第二天刺骨的風又帶來茫茫大雪,到了黃昏,雪積山谷,道路幾乎不通。
I had closed my shutter, laid a mat to the door to prevent the snow from blowing in under it,
我關了窗,把一個墊子掛在門上,免得雪從門底下吹進來,
trimmed my fire, and after sitting nearly an hour on the hearth listening to the muffled fury of the tempest,
整了整火,在爐邊坐了近一個小時,傾聽著暴風雪低沉的怒吼,
I lit a candle, took down "Marmion," and beginning --
我點了根蠟燭,取來了《瑪米昂》,開始讀了起來——
"Day set on Norham's castled steep,
殘陽照著諾漢那城堡峭立的陡壁,
And Tweed's fair river broad and deep,
美麗的特威德河又寬又深,
And Cheviot's mountains lone;
契維奧特山孑然獨立;
The massive towers, the donjon keep,
氣勢雄偉的塔樓和城堡的主壘,
The flanking walls that round them sweep,
兩側那綿延不絕的圍墻,
In yellow lustre shone" --
都在落日余輝中閃動著金光。
I soon forgot storm in music.
我立刻沉浸在音樂之中,忘掉了暴風雪。
I heard a noise: the wind, I thought, shook the door.
我聽見了一聲響動,心想一定是風搖動著門的聲音。
No; it was St. John Rivers, who, lifting the latch, came in out of the frozen hurricane -- the howling darkness -- and stood before me:
不,是圣·約翰·里弗斯先生,從天寒地凍的暴風雪中,從怒吼著的黑暗中走出來,拉開門栓,站有我面前。
the cloak that covered his tall figure all white as a glacier.
遮蓋著他高高身軀的斗篷,像冰川一樣一片雪白,
I was almost in consternation, so little had I expected any guest from the blocked-up vale that night.
我幾乎有些驚慌了,在這樣的夜晚我不曾料到會有穿過積雪封凍的山谷,前來造訪的客人。
"Any ill news?" I demanded. "Has anything happened?"
“有什么壞消息吧?”我問。“出了什么事嗎?”
"No. How very easily alarmed you are?"
“沒有,你那么容易受驚!”
he answered, removing his cloak and hanging it up against the door,
他回答,一邊脫下斗篷,掛在門上。
towards which he again coolly pushed the mat which his entrance had deranged.
他冷冷地推了推進來時被他弄歪了的墊子,
He stamped the snow from his boots.
跺了跺腳,把靴子上的雪抖掉。