Hush! say nothing -- my heart is full of delight -- my senses are entranced -- let the time I marked pass in peace."
噓!別張嘴!一—我欣喜萬分——我神魂顛倒—讓我平靜地度過我所規定的時間。”
I humoured him: the watch ticked on: he breathed fast and low: I stood silent.
我滿足了他。手表嘀嗒嘀嗒響著,他的呼吸時緊時慢,我默默地站著。
Amidst this hush the quartet sped;
在一片靜謐中一刻鐘過去了。
he replaced the watch, laid the picture down, rose, and stood on the hearth.
他拿起手表,放下畫,立起來,站在壁爐邊。
"Now," said he, "that little space was given to delirium and delusion.
“行啦,”他說,“在那一小段時間中我己沉溺于癡心妄想了。
I rested my temples on the breast of temptation, and put my neck voluntarily under her yoke of flowers.
我把腦袋靠在誘惑的胸口,心甘情愿地把脖子伸向她花一般的枷鎖。
I tasted her cup.
我嘗了她的酒杯,
The pillow was burning: there is an asp in the garland:
枕頭還燃著火,花環里有一條毒蛇,
the wine has a bitter taste: her promises are hollow -- her offers false:
酒有苦味,她的允諾是空的——建議是假的。
I see and know all this."
這一切我都明白。”
I gazed at him in wonder.
我驚詫不己地瞪著他。
"It is strange," pursued he, "that while I love Rosamond Oliver so wildly --
“事情也怪,”他說下去,“我那么狂熱地愛著羅莎蒙德.奧利弗——
with all the intensity, indeed, of a first passion, the object of which is exquisitely beautiful, graceful, fascinating --
說真的懷著初戀的全部熱情,而戀上的對象絕對漂亮、優雅、迷人——
I experience at the same time a calm, unwarped consciousness that she would not make me a good wife;
與此同時我又有一種寧靜而不偏不倚的感悟,覺得她不會當個好妻子,
that she is not the partner suited to me; that I should discover this within a year after marriage;
不是適合我的伴侶,婚后一年之內我便會發現。
and that to twelve months' rapture would succeed a lifetime of regret.
十二個月銷魂似的日子之后,接踵而來的是終身遺憾。
This I know."
這我知道。”
"Strange indeed!" I could not help ejaculating.
“奇怪,真奇怪!”我禁不住叫了起來。
"While something in me," he went on, "is acutely sensible to her charms, something else is as deeply impressed with her defects:
“我內心的某一方面,”他說下去,對她的魅力深為敏感,但另一方面對她的缺陷,印象也很深。
they are such that she could sympathise in nothing I aspired to -- co-operate in nothing I undertook.
那就是她無法對我所追求的產生共鳴——不能為我所做的事業攜手合作。