Mastering some hesitation, he answered, "Miss Oliver, I presume."
他打消了某種猶豫,回答說:“我想是奧利弗小姐。”
"Of course. And now, sir, to reward you for the accurate guess,
“當然。而現在,先生,為了獎勵你猜得準,
I will promise to paint you a careful and faithful duplicate of this very picture,
我答應給我創作一幅精細準確的復制品,
provided you admit that the gift would be acceptable to you.
要是你答應這個禮物是可以接受的。
I don't wish to throw away my time and trouble on an offering you would deem worthless."
我不想把時間和精力化在一件你認為毫無價值的東西上。”
He continued to gaze at the picture: the longer he looked, the firmer he held it, the more he seemed to covet it.
他繼續凝視著這張畫。他看得越久就把畫捧得越緊,同時也似乎越想看它。
"It is like!" he murmured;
“是很像!”他喃喃地說。
"the eye is well managed: the colour, light, expression, are perfect. It smiles!"
“眼睛畫得很好。顏色、光線、表情都很完美。它微笑著!”
"Would it comfort, or would it wound you to have a similar painting?
“保存一張復制品會使你感到安慰呢,還是會傷你的心?
Tell me that. When you are at Madagascar, or at the Cape, or in India,
請你告訴我。當你在馬達加斯加,或者好望角,或者印度,
would it be a consolation to have that memento in your possession?
在你的行囊中有這樣的紀念品,對你是一種安慰呢,
or would the sight of it bring recollections calculated to enervate and distress?"
還是一看見就激起你令人喪氣和難受的回憶?”
He now furtively raised his eyes: he glanced at me, irresolute, disturbed: he again surveyed the picture.
這時他偷偷地抬起眼來。他猶猶豫豫忐忑不安地看了我一眼,再次細看起這幅畫來。
"That I should like to have it is certain: whether it would be judicious or wise is another question."
“我是肯定要的,不過這樣做是不是審慎或明智,那就是另外一回事了。”