And as a result of that, as a result of the fact, we have become so much more sedentary.
結果就導致了 我們更習慣于坐著
We are paying a very high price. Of course on the physical level,
我們付出了非常高昂的代價 當然是從身體上來說
but even more than that, on the psychological level.
但除此之外還有心理上的代價
It is no coincidence that the levels of depression have gone up 10 fold.
這不是巧合 抑郁的程度已經增加了十倍
It is no coincidence since the 1960s-it is no coincidence that
這不是巧合 從20世紀60年代算起 這不是巧合
the average age the onset of depression today is just under 15.
當今抑郁癥的平均發生年齡剛好只有15歲
Or as in 1960s, the average onset of depression was around 30.
而在20世紀60年代 抑郁癥的平均發生年齡是30歲
It is because we have stopped exercising. We have stopped exerting effort and energy.
這是因為我們停止了鍛煉 我們停止發揮力量
It is no coincidence that the levels of ADD and ADHD are skyrocketing-not to mention,
這不是巧合 注意力缺陷多動癥的病例指數上升

and I'll mention later, the physical consequences of sedentary life.
更不用說 我之后也會說到宅的生活方式的后果
You see exercise is not a luxury; it's a need.
鍛煉不是種奢侈 這是種需要
And it's a need just like oxygen; it's a need just like certain vitamins
就像氧氣那樣的需要 就像維生素那樣的需要
or a need just like protein and carbohydrates-our needs.
就像蛋白質和碳水化合物那樣的需要
We weren't made, we weren't born to sit in front of a computer all day long, or just to talk all day long.
我們不是 不是生來就要坐在電腦面前一整天的 也不是一整天聊天的
Yeah we are meant to do it at the end of the day after we have hunted and gathered.
我們是要在一天結束時 打完獵采完果子之后干這些事的
And whether it's by God, or whether it's by evolution, or both, we now have a need for physical exercise.
不管是上帝決定 還是進化決定 還是兩者共同決定的 我們都有對鍛煉的需求
And when we frustrate a need, whether it's a need for vitamins,
如果我們不能滿足某種需求 無論是對維生素的需求
whether it's a need for protein or a need for exercise,
對蛋白質的需求 還是對鍛煉的需求
we pay a price-both physical price as well as psychological price.
我們都要付出代價 既包括生理上的代價 也包括心理上的代價