"Oh, no; since it is in employment which depends only on me to give, and you to accept."
“呵,不會。既然這項工作只決定于我來提供,你來接受。”
He again paused: there seemed a reluctance to continue.
他又不吱聲了,仿佛不愿再繼續說下去。
I grew impatient: a restless movement or two,
我有些耐不住了,——兩個不安的動作
and an eager and exacting glance fastened on his face,
以及一個急切而嚴厲的眼神落在他臉上,
conveyed the feeling to him as effectually as words could have done, and with less trouble.
向他表達了同語言一樣有效,但省卻了不少麻煩的情感。
"You need be in no hurry to hear," he said:
“你不必急于聽到,”他說,
"let me frankly tell you, I have nothing eligible or profitable to suggest.
“坦率告訴你吧,我沒有什么合適的或是掙錢的工作可以建議。
Before I explain, recall, if you please, my notice, clearly given,
我解釋之前,請回憶一下,我明明白白地向你打過招呼,
that if I helped you, it must be as the blind man would help the lame.
要是我幫你,那得是瞎子幫助跛子。
I am poor; for I find that, when I have paid my father's debts,
我很窮,因為我發現償付了父親的債務后,
all the patrimony remaining to me will be this crumbling grange,
父親留給我的全部遺產就只有這個搖搖欲墜的田莊,
the row of scathed firs behind, and the patch of moorish soil, with the yew-trees and holly-bushes in front.
莊后一排枯萎的杉樹,一片前面長著紫杉和冬青灌木的荒土。
I am obscure: Rivers is an old name;
我出身卑微,里弗斯是個古老的名字。
but of the three sole descendants of the race,
但這個族的三個僅存的后裔,
two earn the dependant's crust among strangers,
兩個在陌生人中間依賴他人為生,
and the third considers himself an alien from his native country -- not only for life, but in death.
第三個認為自己是遠離故土的異鄉人——活著和死了都是如此。
Yes, and deems, and is bound to deem, himself honoured by the lot,
是的,他認為,必然認為這樣的命運是他的光榮,
and aspires but after the day when the cross of separation from fleshly ties shall be laid on his shoulders,
他盼望有朝一日擺脫塵世束縛的十字架會放在他肩上,
and when the Head of that church-militant of whose humblest members he is one,
那位自己也是最卑微一員的教會斗士的首領
shall give the word, 'Rise, follow Me!'"
會傳下號令:起來,跟著我?”