A friend paid my mother a visit. Later, I spoke with Mom.
一位朋友拜訪了我母親。后來,我和母親聊天。
"I was very nervous," she said. "Why?" I asked.
她說:“我當時很緊張。”我問為什么。
"Because he's a captain in the Air Force."
“因為他是一名空軍上尉。”
"Mother, as you know, I, too, am a captain in the Air Force." "Yes," she said.
“媽媽,你知道,我也是空軍上尉。”“我知道,”她說。
"And you also make me nervous when you visit."
“你來的時候也讓我很緊張。”
In San Diego to work with military linguists, my colleague and I checked into a hotel and ordered a 5 a.m. wake-up call.
在圣地亞哥與軍事語言學家一起工作時,我和同事住進了一家酒店,并預訂了早上5點的叫醒服務。
The next morning, the phone didn't ring until 5:30.
第二天早上,電話直到五點半才響。
"You were supposed to call us at 5 a.m.!"
“你應該在早上5點給我們打電話!”
I admonished the desk clerk on the other end of the line.
我警告了電話另一端的接待員。
"What if I had to close a million-dollar contract this morning?
“如果今天早上我必須簽下一份百萬美元的合同呢?”
Your oversight would have cost me the deal!"
你的疏忽會使我失去這筆交易!”
"Sir," he said calmly, "if you had to close that type of deal, I doubt you'd be staying in this type of hotel."
“先生,”他平靜地說,“如果你要完成那種交易,你不會住在這種類型的酒店里。”