No. 10: A roof is a man-made thing.
第十點:“屋頂”是人設立的。
This may cut a little close to the bone, since the geography,
由于地理的原因,這話可能有點兒尖刻,
but I think we all were there and we'll all remember where we were.
但我認為我們都在場,而且我們全都記得我們在哪里。
But in January 3, 1993 it was the NFL playoffs, and your Houston Oilers were playing the Buffalo Bills.
1993年1月3日,美國橄欖球聯盟季后賽,你們的休斯敦油人隊對陣布法羅比爾隊。
The Oilers were up 28–3 at halftime, 35–3 early in the 3rd.
中場休息時油人隊28比3領先,第三局開局時35比3領先。
Frank Reich and the Bills come back to win 41–38 in overtime for one of the greatest comebacks in NFL history.
到加時賽時,弗蘭克·賴克和比爾隊以41比38扳回比分,贏了比賽,那是美國橄欖球聯盟歷史上最驚人的逆轉之一。
The Bills won, but they didn't really beat the Oilers.
比爾隊贏了,但他們并未真正擊敗油人隊。
The Oilers lost that game; they beat themselves. You all remember that, huh?
油人隊輸了比賽,他們自己打敗了自己。你們都記得吧?
Why? Why'd they beat themselves, or how?
為什么呢?他們為什么會被自己打敗,或者他們是怎么被打敗的?
Was it because at halftime they put a ceiling, a roof, a limit on their belief in themselves, a.k.a the prevent defense?
是不是因為在中場休息時,他們在對自己的信心上加了一個天花板,一個屋頂,一個限制,也就是采用了預防式防守戰術?
Or maybe they started thinking about the next opponent in the playoffs at halftime, I mean, they were up.
或者他們在中場休息時已經開始考慮季后賽的下一個對手了,我是說,他們當時處于領先地位。
Then they came out, played on their heels, lost the mental edge the entire second half. And voila: they lost.
然后他們上場了,小心翼翼地打球,在整個下半場失去了心理優勢。看,他們輸了。

In a mere two quarters, defensive coordinator Jim Eddy went from being called the defensive coordinator of the year
在短短兩節的時間里,防守協調員吉姆·埃迪從被稱作年度最佳防守協調員
and the man first in line to be a head coach next year, to a man without a job in the NFL.
和下一年總教練的首要人選,變成了美國橄欖球聯盟中的失業人員。
You've choked? Nobody has ever choked? I have.
你曾經哽住過嗎?沒人嗎?我哽住過。
You know I'm talking about: fumbled at the goal line, stuck your foot in your mouth once you got the microphone,
你們知道我的意思:在球門線上漏接球;一拿到麥克風就說錯話;
had a brain freeze on the exam that you were totally prepared for,
在準備充分的考試當中大腦停頓;
forgot the punch line to a joke in front of four thousand graduating students at the University of Houston Commencement?
在休斯敦大學畢業典禮上,當著四千畢業生的面開個玩笑卻想不起來其中好笑的句子?
Or maybe you've had that feeling of "Oh my God, life just cannot get any better than this moment."
或者你可能曾經有過那種感覺:“哦,天哪,人生再沒有比此刻更棒的時候了。”
And asked yourself, "Do I deserve this?"
你問自己:“我配得到這一切嗎?”
Now what happens when we get that feeling? We tense up.
現在,當我們有那樣的感覺時會發生什么?我們會緊張。
We have this sort of outer body experience where we are literally seeing ourselves in the third person.
當我們真的以第三人視角看自己時,我們會有這種脫離自身的感覺。
And we realize that the moment just got bigger than us. You ever felt that way? I have.
我們意識到那一刻超出了我們的預期。你們有過那樣的感覺嗎?我有過。
And it's because we have created a fictitious ceiling, a roof, to our expectations of ourselves,
那是因為我們為自己制造了一個虛假的天花板,一個屋頂,加在自我期許之上;
a limit where we think it's all too good to be true.
我們設立了一個限度,到了那個限度時我們就認為事情好得不真實。
But it's not. And it's not our right to say or believe it is.
但事實并非如此。我們無權那么說或者那么認為。