Now, Jim moves and behaves as if the synthetic limb is part of him.
吉姆活動和做事時,合成肢體就像他的一部分。
For example, one day in the lab, he accidentally stepped on a roll of electrical tape.
例如,某天在實驗室,他意外地踩到一卷電工膠帶上。
Now, what do you do when something's stuck to your shoe?
當東西粘上到你的鞋底上時,你會怎么做?
You don't reach down like this; it's way too awkward.
你不會彎腰去取的,那樣顯得太笨了。
Instead, you shake it off, and that's exactly what Jim did after being neurally connected to the limb for just a few hours.
相反,你會抖掉它,吉姆正是這么做的,神經接通肢體僅幾小時后,他就甩掉了膠帶。
What was most interesting to me is what Jim was telling us he was experiencing.
我覺得最有意思的是,吉姆告訴我們他當時的感受。
He said, "The robot became part of me."
他說:“機器已成為我的一部分?!?/div>
The morning after the first time I was attached to the robot,
我連上機器后的次日早晨,
my daughter came downstairs and asked me how it felt to be a cyborg,
女兒下樓來,問我成為生化人的感覺如何,
and my answer was that I didn't feel like a cyborg.
我回答說,不覺得自己是生化人。
I felt like I had my leg, and it wasn't that I was attached to the robot so much as the robot was attached to me,
而是覺得好像是自己的腿回來了,與其說我連在機器上,倒不如說是機器連到我身上,
and the robot became part of me. It became my leg pretty quickly. Thank you.
機器已然成為我的一部分,很快就變成我的腿了。謝謝。