The darkness didn't just affect his sleep.
黑暗的環境不僅影響他的睡眠。
It deeply troubled his waking hours as well.
同時也影響著他清醒時的意識。
The nothingness was extremely hard because the question in your head is,
那種空虛感非常難熬,因為頭腦中會反復問自己,
how am I going to get through the next ten minutes?
下一個十分鐘怎么捱?
Or, months later, how am I going to get through the next day, if there is another day?
這樣過了幾個月后,我又開始想明天該怎么辦,如果還有明天的話?
Is there enough left in my head?
我腦子里還有能想的東西嗎?
Until eventually the sensory deprivation became all-consuming.
直到最后,感官剝奪開始耗盡全部身心。
The blackness was palpable.
黑暗如此的真實。
There was nothing there to confirm to me that there was human existence outside me or even in me.
我沒有辦法讓自己相信世界還有人存在,甚至不知道我是否還存在。
I remember on one occasion waking up and having to squeeze my face and my chest
記得有一次我醒過來,然后去掐自己的臉和前胸,
and thinking to myself, "Am I still alive? How do I know I'm alive?"
問自己:我是否還活著?我要怎么才知道我是否還活著?