Well one day, Emma comes in and she hangs her head in her lap, and she sobbed for most of the hour.
有一天,Emma走進來,把頭放在膝蓋上,然后哭了近一個小時。
She'd just bought a new address book, and she'd spent the morning filling in her many contacts,
她剛買了一個新的地址薄,然后她花了一個上午填她的聯系人,
but then she'd been left staring at that empty blank that comes after the words "In case of emergency, please call ..."
但是她只能呆呆的看著“在緊急情況下,請撥打...”這一串字后面的空白。
She was nearly hysterical when she looked at me and said,
她近歇斯底里的看著我并說:
"Who's going to be there for me if I get in a car wreck? Who's going to take care of me if I have cancer?"
“如果我出車禍了誰會照顧我?如果我的癌癥了誰會照顧我?”
Now in that moment, it took everything I had not to say, "I will."
當時,我花了很大力氣才避免說“我會”。
But what Emma needed wasn't some therapist who really, really cared.
但Emma需要的并不是一位非常非常關心她的治療師。
Emma needed a better life, and I knew this was her chance.
Emma需要一個更好的生活,而且我知道這是她的機會。
I had learned too much since I first worked with Alex to just sit there while Emma's defining decade went parading by.
自從我在Alex身上下功夫后我學到了很多,所以我不會讓Emma那具有決定作用的十年就這么流逝掉。
So over the next weeks and months, I told Emma three things that every twentysomething, male or female, deserves to hear.
所以在接下來的幾周和幾個月中,我告訴了Emma三個每個二十幾歲的人,不論男女,都應該聽到東西。
First, I told Emma to forget about having an identity crisis and get some identity capital.
首先,我告訴Emma忘了她的身份危機然后開始積累身份資本。
By "get identity capital," I mean do something that adds value to who you are.
我所說的“積累身份資本”就是指為你自己增加價值。
Do something that's an investment in who you might want to be next.
做一項對你接下來想是什么樣子的的投資。
I didn't know the future of Emma's career, and no one knows the future of work, but I do know this:
我當時不知道Emma的職業的未來,而且沒人知道自己的工作的未來,但是我知道這些:
Identity capital begets identity capital.
身份資本會招來更多的身份資本。
So now is the time for that cross-country job, that internship, that startup you want to try.
這是接受那份跨國職業,那份實習和你想試試的那個起步的時候。
I'm not discounting twentysomething exploration here,
我不是在漠視二十幾歲的人的探索,
but I am discounting exploration that's not supposed to count, which, by the way, is not exploration.
但是我在漠視毫無意義的探索,而且那些按道理來講不能叫探索。
That's procrastination. I told Emma to explore work and make it count.
那叫拖延時間。我叫Emma試驗各種工作而且讓它們算數。