"You know I am a scoundrel, Jane?" ere long he inquired wistfully
“你知道我是個惡棍嗎,簡?”不久他若有所思地問,
wondering, I suppose, at my continued silence and tameness, the result rather of weakness than of will.
我想是對我繼續緘默令神而感到納悶,我那種心情是軟弱而不是意志力的表現。
"Yes, sir." "Then tell me so roundly and sharply -- don't spare me."
“是的,先生。”“那就直截了當毫不留情地告訴我吧,別姑息我。”
"I cannot: I am tired and sick. I want some water."
“我不能,我既疲倦又不舒服。我想喝點兒水。”
He heaved a sort of shuddering sigh, and taking me in his arms, carried me downstairs.
他顫抖著嘆了口氣,把我抱在懷里下樓去了。
At first I did not know to what room he had borne me;
起初我不知道他要把我抱到哪個房間去,
all was cloudy to my glazed sight: presently I felt the reviving warmth of a fire;
在我呆滯的目光中一切都朦朦朧朧。很快我覺得一團溫暖的火又回到了我身上,
for, summer as it was, I had become icy cold in my chamber.
因為雖然時令正是夏天,我在自己的房間里早已渾身冰涼。
He put wine to my lips; I tasted it and revived; then I ate something he offered me, and was soon myself.
他把酒送到我嘴里,我嘗了一嘗,緩過了神來。隨后我吃了些他拿來的東西,于是很快便恢復過來了。
I was in the library -- sitting in his chair -- he was quite near.
我在圖書室里--坐在他的椅子上--他就在我旁邊。
"If I could go out of life now, without too sharp a pang, it would be well for me," I thought;
“要是我現在就毫無痛苦地結束生命,那倒是再好沒有了。”我想,
"then I should not have to make the effort of cracking my heart-strings in rending them from among Mr. Rochester's.
“那樣我就不必狠心繃斷自己的心弦,以中止同羅切斯特先生心靈上的聯系。
I must leave him, it appears. I do not want to leave him -- I cannot leave him."
后來我得離開他。我不想離開他--我不能離開他。”