"How are you now, Jane?"
“你現在好嗎,簡?”
"Much better, sir; I shall be well soon."
“好多了,先生。很快就會好的。”
"Taste the wine again, Jane."
“再嘗一下酒,簡。”
I obeyed him; then he put the glass on the table, stood before me, and looked at me attentively.
我照他的話做了。隨后他把酒杯放在桌上,站到我面前,專注地看著我。
Suddenly he turned away, with an inarticulate exclamation, full of passionate emotion of some kind;
突然他轉過身來,充滿激情含糊不清地叫了一聲,
he walked fast through the room and came back;
快步走過房間,又折回來,
he stooped towards me as if to kiss me; but I remembered caresses were now forbidden.
朝我彎下身子,像是要吻我,但我記起現在已不允許撫愛了。
I turned my face away and put his aside.
我轉過頭去,推開了他的臉。
"What! How is this?" he exclaimed hastily.
“什么?這是怎么回事?”他急忙嚷道。
"Oh, I know! you won't kiss the husband of Bertha Mason?
“呵,我知道!你不想吻伯莎·梅森的丈夫?
You consider my arms filled and my embraces appropriated?"
你認為我的懷里已經有人,我的擁抱已被占有?”
"At any rate, there is neither room nor claim for me, sir."
“無論怎么說,已沒有我的份和我的容身之地了,先生。”
"Why, Jane? I will spare you the trouble of much talking; I will answer for you.
“為什么,簡?我來免去你多費口舌的麻煩,讓我替你回答。
Because I have a wife already, you would reply. -- I guess rightly?" "Yes."
因為我已經有了—個妻子,你會回答--我猜得對嗎?”“是的。”