"Ghosts are usually pale, Jane."
“鬼魂總是蒼白的,簡。”
"This, sir, was purple: the lips were swelled and dark; the brow furrowed:
“先生,它卻是紫色的。嘴唇又黑又腫,額頭溝壑縱橫,
the black eyebrows widely raised over the bloodshot eyes.
烏黑的眉毛怒豎著,兩眼充滿血絲,
Shall I tell you of what it reminded me?" "You may."
要我告訴你我想起了什么嗎?”“可以。”
"Of the foul German spectre -- the Vampyre."
“想起了可惡的德國幽靈--吸血鬼。”
"Ah! -- what did it do?"
“呵!它干了什么啦?”
"Sir, it removed my veil from its gaunt head, rent it in two parts,
“先生,它從瘦削的頭上取下面紗,撕成兩半,
and flinging both on the floor, trampled on them." "Afterwards?"
扔在地上,踩了起來。”“后來呢?”
"It drew aside the window-curtain and looked out;
“它拉開窗簾,往外張望。
perhaps it saw dawn approaching, for, taking the candle, it retreated to the door.
也許它看到已近拂曉,便拿著蠟燭朝房門退去。
Just at my bedside, the figure stopped: the fiery eyes glared upon me
正好路過我床邊時,鬼影停了下來。
she thrust up her candle close to my face, and extinguished it under my eyes.
火一般的目光向我射來,她把蠟燭舉起來靠近我的臉,在我眼皮底下把它吹滅了。
I was aware her lurid visage flamed over mine, and I lost consciousness:
我感到她白煞煞的臉朝我閃著光,我昏了過去。
for the second time in my life -- only the second time -- I became insensible from terror."
平生第二次--只不過第二次--我嚇昏了。”