"Now, Jane, that is all."
“現在,簡,講完了吧。”
"All the preface, sir; the tale is yet to come.
“序幕完了,先生,故事還沒有開場呢。
On waking, a gleam dazzled my eyes; I thought -- Oh, it is daylight!
醒來時一道強光弄得我眼睛發花。我想--呵,那是日光!
But I was mistaken; it was only candlelight. Sophie, I supposed, had come in.
可是我搞錯了,那不過是燭光。我猜想索菲婭已經進屋了。
There was a light in the dressing-table, and the door of the closet,
梳妝臺上有一盞燈,而衣櫥門大開著,
where, before going to bed, I had hung my wedding-dress and veil, stood open; I heard a rustling there.
睡覺前我曾把我的婚禮服和面紗放進櫥里。我聽見了一陣悉悉粹粹的聲音。
I asked, 'Sophie, what are you doing?'
我問,‘索菲婭,你在干嘛?’
No one answered; but a form emerged from the closet;
沒有人回答。但是一個人影從櫥里出來。
it took the light, held it aloft, and surveyed the garments pendent from the portmanteau.
它端著蠟燭,舉得高高的,并且仔細端詳著從架子上垂下來的衣服。
'Sophie! Sophie!' I again cried: and still it was silent.
‘索菲婭!索菲婭!’我又叫了起來,但它依然默不作聲。
I had risen up in bed, I bent forward: first surprise, then bewilderment, came over me;
我已在床上坐了起來,俯身向前。我先是感到吃驚,繼而迷惑不解。
and then my blood crept cold through my veins.
我血管里的血也冷了。
Mr. Rochester, this was not Sophie, it was not Leah, it was not Mrs. Fairfax:
羅切斯特先生,這不是索菲婭,不是莉婭,也不是費爾法克斯太太。
it was not -- no, I was sure of it, and am still -- it was not even that strange woman, Grace Poole."
它不是--不,我當時很肯定,現在也很肯定--甚至也不是那個奇怪的女人格雷斯·普爾。”