I know it isn't easy.
我知道這并不容易。
Women, especially those at junior levels,
職場女性,尤其是那些資歷尚淺的女性,
worry that raising gender issues makes them appear unprofessional or as if they are blaming others.
都擔心提出男女平等的問題會讓自己看起來很不專業,或是在譴責別人。
I have listened to women vent frustration over being undervalued and even demeaned on a daily basis at work.
我見過有女性沮喪地抱怨自己在工作中不受重視或被輕視。
When I ask if they have aired any of these complaints to their superiors, they've responded, "Oh no! I couldn't."
當我問她們是否跟上司聊過這些問題時,她們幾乎都會說:“沒有!我做不到!”
There is so much fear that speaking up will make the situation worse or even result in being penalized or fired.
她們太恐懼,害怕一旦說出來會讓情況變得更糟,導致被處罰甚至被解雇。
It seems safer to bear the injustice.
相比之下,忍受不公平似乎更安全。
For men, raising this subject can be even harder.
要讓男人主動提起這個問題則會更難。
A male friend who runs a large organization once confided in me,
一位男性企業高管曾私下告訴我:
"It's easier to talk about your sex life in public than to talk about gender."
“公開地討論性生活比提及性別問題要容易。”
The fact that he wouldn't go on record with this quote shows he meant it.
他沒有公開講過這個觀點,但他的確是這么想的。
Vittorio Colao, CEO of Vodafone, told me that he showed my TEDTalk to his senior management team
沃達豐電訊公司的首席執行官維托里奧·科勞告訴我,他把我的TED演講視頻拿給他的高管團隊看了。
because he shares my belief that women sometimes hold themselves back.
他相信,有時候女性是自己選擇往后退的;
He also believed this message was easier to hear from a woman than a man.
他也相信,讓女性自己說出來比等著男性提出來更容易。
His point is valid.
他是有道理的。
If a man had delivered the same message or even gently pointed out that women might be taking actions that limited their options, he would have been pilloried.
如果由一位男性來說這個問題,甚至只是善意地說:“女性或許是自己在限制自己的選擇”,那他完全是自找罪受。
Shutting down discussion is self-defeating and impedes progress.
閉口不談這個問題肯定會適得其反,阻礙自我發展。
We need to talk and listen and debate and refute and instruct and learn and evolve.
我們需要交談、傾聽、爭論、反駁、指導、學習和進步。