I could mention that my credentials lined up with those of the men who had previously held this position.
我可以自信地說,和之前擔任這個職務的男性相比,我的資歷也是夠格的。
If there was enough time, I could recount centuries of discrimination against women.
要是時間足夠的話,我還可以再歷數一下幾百年來人們對女性的歧視,
Or I could just slap the person across the face.
甚至可以為此抽這些人一耳光。
It was a no-win situation. I couldn't deny being a woman.
這是個不可能贏的局面,我不能不接受自己是個女人的事實。
And defending myself just made me seem ... defensive.
而且,為自己辯護只會讓我顯得喜歡反駁別人。
My gut and the signals I received from others cautioned me that arguing the issue would make me sound like a strident feminist.
我的直覺以及別人傳遞出的信號都在提醒我,為了這個問題爭論,只會讓自己看起來更像一個觀點尖銳的女權主義者。
And I still did not want that.
我不希望這樣,
I also worried that pointing out the disadvantages women face in the workforce might be misinterpreted as whining or asking for special treatment.
我也擔心指出職場女性面臨的種種不利,會被誤讀成要求給女性以特殊待遇。
So I ignored the comments. I put my head down and worked hard.
所以,我忽視了這些議論,只是低下頭,努力地工作。
Then, as the years ticked by, I started seeing female friends and colleagues drop out of the workforce.
時間一年年地過去,我開始發現我周圍的女性朋友和女同事正在慢慢退出職場。
Some left by choice. Others left out of frustration, pushed out the door by companies that did not allow flexibility
有些人是自己選擇離開的;有些人是出于絕望和沮喪而被迫離開那些工作時間不容變通的公司,
and welcomed home by partners who weren't doing their share of the housework and child rearing.
回到缺乏伴侶理解與支持的家里;
Others remained but scaled back their ambitions to meet outsized demands.
還有些人留在職場,但收斂了自己的事業心,不再想走得更遠、更高。
I watched as the promise my generation had for female leadership dwindled.
我親眼看著我們這一代的女性領導者的前景正在變得黯淡。
By the time I had been at Google for a few years, I realized that the problem wasn't going away.
在谷歌工作了幾年后,我意識到這個問題仍然存在,
So even though the thought still scared me, I decided it was time to stop putting my head down and to start speaking out.
所以即使心里有些害怕,但我還是認為自己不能只顧著埋頭苦干,而是應該站出來勇敢地表達內心的想法。