"Pity!" he said, and sighed and paused.
“可惜呀!”他說,嘆了口氣又打住了。
"It is always the way of events in this life," he continued presently:
“世上的事情總是這樣,”他馬上又繼續說,
"no sooner have you got settled in a pleasant resting-place,
“你剛在一個愉快的棲身之處安頓下來,
than a voice calls out to you to rise and move on, for the hour of repose is expired."
一個聲音便會叫你起來往前趕路,因為已過了休息的時辰。”
"Must I move on, sir?" I asked. "Must I leave Thornfield?"
“我得往前趕路嗎,先生?”我問。“我得離開桑菲爾德嗎?”
"I believe you must, Jane. I am sorry, Janet, but I believe indeed you must."
“我想你得走了,簡。很抱歉,珍妮特,但我的確認為你該走了。”
This was a blow: but I did not let it prostrate me.
這是一個打擊,但我不讓它擊倒我。
"Well, sir, I shall be ready when the order to march comes."
“行呀,先生,要我走的命令一下,我便走。”
"It is come now -- I must give it to-night."
“現在命令來了--我今晚就得下。”
"Then you ARE going to be married, sir?"
“那你要結婚了,先生?”
"Exactly -- precisely: with your usual acuteness, you have hit the nail straight on the head."
“確實如此,對極了。憑你一貫的機敏,你已經一語中的。”