"It is a long way off, sir."
“離這兒很遠呢,先生。”
"No matter -- a girl of your sense will not object to the voyage or the distance."
“沒有關系--像你這樣一個通情達理的姑娘是不會反對航程或距離的。”
"Not the voyage, but the distance: and then the sea is a barrier..."
“不是航程,而是距離。還有大海是一大障礙...”
"From what, Jane?"
“離開什么地方,簡?”
"From England and from Thornfield: and..." "Well?" "From you, sir."
“離開英格蘭和桑菲爾德,還有...”“怎么?”“離開你,先生。”
I said this almost involuntarily, and, with as little sanction of free will, my tears gushed out.
我幾乎不知不覺中說了這話,眼淚不由自主奪眶而出。
I did not cry so as to be heard, however; I avoided sobbing.
但我沒有哭出聲來,我也避免抽泣。
The thought of Mrs. O'Gall and Bitternutt Lodge struck cold to my heart;
一想起奧加爾太太和苦果村,我的心就涼了半截;
and colder the thought of all the brine and foam, destined, as it seemed, to rush between me and the master at whose side I now walked,
一想起在我與此刻同我并肩而行的主人之間,注定要翻騰著大海和波濤,我的心就更涼了;
and coldest the remembrance of the wider ocean -- wealth, caste, custom intervened between me and what I naturally and inevitably loved.
而一記起在我同我自然和必然所愛的東西之間,橫亙著財富、階層和習俗的遼闊海洋,我的心涼透了。