"It is a long way," I again said.
“離這兒很遠,”我又說了一句。
"It is, to be sure; and when you get to Bitternutt Lodge, Connaught, Ireland,
“確實加此。等你到了愛爾蘭康諾特的苦果村,
I shall never see you again, Jane: that's morally certain.
我就永遠見不到你了,肯定就是這么回事。
I never go over to Ireland, not having myself much of a fancy for the country.
我從來不去愛爾蘭,因為自己并不太喜歡這個國家。
We have been good friends, Jane; have we not?"
我們一直是好朋友,簡,你說是不是?”
"Yes, sir."
“是的,先生。”
"And when friends are on the eve of separation,
“朋友們在離別的前夕,
they like to spend the little time that remains to them close to each other.
往往喜歡親密無間地度過余下的不多時光。
Come! we'll talk over the voyage and the parting quietly half-an-hour or so, while the stars enter into their shining life up in heaven yonder:
來!星星們在那邊天上閃爍著光芒時,我們用上半個小時左右,平靜地談談航行和離別。
here is the chestnut tree: here is the bench at its old roots.
這兒是一棵七葉樹,這邊是圍著老樹根的凳子。
Come, we will sit there in peace to-night,
來,今晚我們就安安心心地坐在這兒,
though we should never more be destined to sit there together." He seated me and himself.
雖然我們今后注定再也不會坐在一起了。”他讓我坐下,然后自己也坐了下來。