But there is one more big obstacle we have to think about.
但前方還有一個大障礙需要跨越。
In fact, it may be the biggest obstacle of all.
而且,也許是最大的一個障礙。
How do we deploy this superweapon?
我們該如何部署這件超級武器?
I mean, every good weapon needs to be targeted,
每一件武器都要設定目標,
we have to target this superweapon to the supervillain cells that reside in the tumor.
我們要將這件超級武器瞄準潛伏在腫瘤內部的超級大反派。
But our bodies have a natural immune-defense system:
但人體是有免疫系統的:
cells that reside in the bloodstream and pick out things that don't belong,
血液里的各種細胞能辨認出外來物體,
so that it can destroy or eliminate them.
然后殺死或清除它們。
And guess what? Our nanoparticle is considered a foreign object.
很顯然,我們的納米粒子就是一種外來物體。
We have to sneak our nanoparticle past the tumor defense system.
我們要讓它騙過腫瘤的防御系統。
We have to get it past this mechanism of getting rid of the foreign object by disguising it.
我們要偽裝它,幫它通過重重崗哨,進入敵營。
So we add one more negatively charged layer around this nanoparticle, which serves two purposes.
于是我們再加上一層帶負電的保護膜,包住我們的納米粒子,目的有兩個。
First, this outer layer is one of the naturally charged, highly hydrated polysaccharides that resides in our body.
第一,最外面這層保護膜是存在于我們體內的帶電多糖水合物之一。
It creates a cloud of water molecules around the nanoparticle that gives us an invisibility cloaking effect.
它能在納米粒子周圍形成許多水分子,就像給納米粒子穿上了隱形披風。
This invisibility cloak allows the nanoparticle
這件披風能幫助納米粒子
to travel through the bloodstream long and far enough to reach the tumor, without getting eliminated by the body.
在血液里自由行動,暢通無阻,直到抵達腫瘤細胞。
Second, this layer contains molecules which bind specifically to our tumor cell.
第二,這層保護膜含有一些分子,專門用來與腫瘤細胞結合。
Once bound, the cancer cell takes up the nanoparticle,
一旦結合,癌細胞就會把納米粒子吸收,
and now we have our nanoparticle inside the cancer cell and ready to deploy.
這樣我們的納米粒子最終就會進入癌細胞,準備發起進攻。
Alright! I feel the same way. Let's go!
是啊!我也覺得很興奮。繼續!