As a researcher, I usually don't get to work with patients.
作為一名研究者,我通常很少與病人接觸。
But I recently met a mother who is an ovarian cancer survivor, Mimi, and her daughter, Paige.
但最近我遇到了一位母親,她叫咪咪,是一名卵巢癌幸存者,她有個女兒叫佩吉。
I was deeply inspired by the optimism and strength that both mother and daughter displayed and by their story of courage and support.
我深深地被她們母女倆表現出來的樂觀和堅強,勇氣和相互支持打動了。
At this event, we spoke about the different technologies directed at cancer.
我們聊到了用于治療癌癥的科技手段。
And Mimi was in tears as she explained how learning about these efforts gives her hope for future generations, including her own daughter.
咪咪聽得流淚了,她說,了解到目前取得的這些成就,讓她看到了下一代人(不受癌癥折磨)的希望,其中包括她的女兒。
This really touched me. It's not just about building really elegant science.
這讓我很是感慨。我們所做的不僅僅是建立一門優秀的科學。
It's about changing people's lives.
而是在改變人的命運。
It's about understanding the power of engineering on the scale of molecules.
是要了解分子工程學強大的力量。
I know that as students like Paige move forward in their careers,
我堅信,隨著像佩吉這樣的學生沿著這條道路不斷前進,
they'll open new possibilities in addressing some of the big health problems in the world
他們一定能打開一片新天地,解決當今世界最大的健康問題,
including ovarian cancer, neurological disorders, infectious disease
包括卵巢癌,神經系統疾病,傳染病,
just as chemical engineering has found a way to open doors for me,
就如同化學基因改造已經為我指明了一條道路,
and has provided a way of engineering on the tiniest scale, that of molecules, to heal on the human scale. Thank you.
提供了一種基因改造的方法,讓我們可以從小小的分子入手,解決人類健康這個大問題。謝謝大家。