But what is so headstrong as youth? What so blind as inexperience?
但是,有什么比青春更任性嗎?有什么比幼稚更盲目呢?
These affirmed that it was pleasure enough to have the privilege of again looking on Mr. Rochester, whether he looked on me or not;
青春與幼稚認定,有幸能再次見到羅切斯特先生是夠令人愉快的,不管他見不見我;
and they added -- "Hasten! hasten! be with him while you may:
并且補充說:“快些!快些!在還能做到的時候跟他在一起,
but a few more days or weeks, at most, and you are parted from him for ever!"
只要再過幾天,至多幾星期,你就與他永別了!”
And then I strangled a new-born agony -- a deformed thing which I could not persuade myself to own and rear -- and ran on.
隨后我抑制住了新的痛苦--我無法說服自己承認和培育的畸形兒--并繼續趕路了。
They are making hay, too, in Thornfield meadows:
在桑菲爾德的草地上,他們也在曬制干草呢,
or rather, the labourers are just quitting their work,
或者更確切些,農夫們正好下工,
and returning home with their rakes on their shoulders, now, at the hour I arrive.
肩上扛著草耙回家去,在我到達的時刻。
I have but a field or two to traverse, and then I shall cross the road and reach the gates.
我只要再走過一兩塊草地,就可以穿過大路,到達門口了。
How full the hedges are of roses!
籬笆上長了那么多薔薇花!
But I have no time to gather any; I want to be at the house.
但我已顧不上去采摘,巴不得立即趕到府上。
I passed a tall briar, shooting leafy and flowery branches across the path; I see the narrow stile with stone steps;
我經過一棵高大的薔薇,葉茂花盛的枝椏橫穿過小徑;我看到了窄小的石頭臺階;
and I see -- Mr. Rochester sitting there, a book and a pencil in his hand; he is writing.
我還看到--羅切斯特先生坐在那里,手中拿著一本書和一支鉛筆,他在寫著。