He did not leave the stile, and I hardly liked to ask to go by.
他沒有離開石階,我很不情愿要求他讓路。
I inquired soon if he had not been to London.
我立刻問他是不是去過倫敦了。
"Yes; I suppose you found that out by second-sight."
“去了,我想你再看一眼就看出來了。”
"Mrs. Fairfax told me in a letter."
“費爾法克斯太太在一封信里告訴我了。”
"And did she inform you what I went to do?"
“她告訴你我去干什么了嗎?”
"Oh, yes, sir! Everybody knew your errand."
“呵,是的,先生!人人都知道你的倫敦之行。”
"You must see the carriage, Jane, and tell me if you don't think it will suit Mrs. Rochester exactly;
“你得看一看馬車,簡,告訴我是不是你認為它完全適合羅切斯特太太。
and whether she won't look like Queen Boadicea, leaning back against those purple cushions.
她靠在紫色的軟墊上,看上去像不像波狄西亞女王。
I wish, Jane, I were a trifle better adapted to match with her externally.
簡,但愿我在外貌上同她更般配一點。
Tell me now, fairy as you are -- can't you give me a charm,
你是個小精靈,那現在你就告訴我--能不能給我一種魔力,
or a philter, or something of that sort, to make me a handsome man?"
或者有魔力的藥,或是某種類似的東西,使我變成一個英俊的男子?”
"It would be past the power of magic, sir;" and, in thought, I added,
“這不是魔力所能為的,先生,”我心里又補充道,
"A loving eye is all the charm needed: to such you are handsome enough;
“一個親切的眼神是最需要的魔力:由此看來,你已經夠漂亮了,
or rather your sternness has a power beyond beauty."
或者不如說,你嚴厲的神情具有一種超越美的力量。”