I was going back to Thornfield: but how long was I to stay there?
我正在回桑菲爾德的歸途中,可是我會在那兒呆多久呢?
Not long; of that I was sure.
我確信不會太久。
I had heard from Mrs. Fairfax in the interim of my absence: the party at the hall was dispersed;
在外期間,費爾法克斯太太寫信告訴我,府上的聚會已經散去,
Mr. Rochester had left for London three weeks ago, but he was then expected to return in a fortnight.
羅切斯特先生三周前動身上倫敦去了,不過預定二周后就返回。
Mrs. Fairfax surmised that he was gone to make arrangements for his wedding,
費爾法克斯太太推測,他此去是為張羅婚禮的,
as he had talked of purchasing a new carriage:
因為曾說起要購置一輛新馬車:
she said the idea of his marrying Miss Ingram still seemed strange to her;
她還說,總覺得這不免有些蹊蹺,羅切斯特先生盡想著要娶英格拉姆小姐;
but from what everybody said, and from what she had herself seen,
不過從大家說的和她親眼見的來看,
she could no longer doubt that the event would shortly take place.
她不再懷疑婚禮很快就會舉行。

"You would be strangely incredulous if you did doubt it," was my mental comment. "I don't doubt it."
“要是連這也懷疑,那你真是疑心病重得出奇了。”我心里嘀咕著。“我并不懷疑。”
The question followed, "Where was I to go?"
接踵而來的是這個問題,“我上哪兒去呢?”
I dreamt of Miss Ingram all the night:
我徹夜夢見英格拉姆小姐:
in a vivid morning dream I saw her closing the gates of Thornfield against me and pointing me out another road;
在活靈活現的晨夢中,我看見她當著我關上了桑菲爾德的大門,給我指了指另外一條路;
and Mr. Rochester looked on with his arms folded -- smiling sardonically, as it seemed, at both her and me.
羅切斯特先生袖手旁觀--似乎對英格拉姆小姐和我冷笑著。
I had not notified to Mrs. Fairfax the exact day of my return;
我沒有通知費爾法克斯太太回家的確切日子,
for I did not wish either car or carriage to meet me at Millcote.
因為我不希望派普通馬車或是高級馬車到米爾科特來接我。
I proposed to walk the distance quietly by myself;
我打算自己靜靜地走完這段路;
and very quietly, after leaving my box in the ostler's care, did I slip away from the George Inn,
這樣,我把自己的箱子交給飼馬倌后,靜悄悄地溜出喬治旅店,
about six o'clock of a June evening, and take the old road to Thornfield:
在六月的某個黃昏,六時左右,踏上了通向桑菲爾德的老路:
a road which lay chiefly through fields, and was now little frequented.
這條路直穿田野,如今已很少有人光顧。