It was not a bright or splendid summer evening, though fair and soft:
這是一個晴朗溫和卻并不明亮燦爛的夏夜:
the haymakers were at work all along the road;
干草工們沿路忙碌著;
and the sky, though far from cloudless, was such as promised well for the future:
天空雖然有云,卻仍有好天氣的兆頭。
its blue -- where blue was visible -- was mild and settled, and its cloud strata high and thin.
天上的藍色--在看得見藍色的地方--柔和而穩(wěn)定,云層又高又薄。
The west, too, was warm: no watery gleam chilled it
西邊也很暖和:沒有濕潤的微光來造就涼意,
it seemed as if there was a fire lit, an altar burning behind its screen of marbled vapour,
看上去仿佛點起了火,好似一個祭壇在大理石般霧氣的屏障后面燃一燒著,
and out of apertures shone a golden redness.
從縫隙中射一出金色的紅光。

I felt glad as the road shortened before me:
面前的路越走越短,
so glad that I stopped once to ask myself what that joy meant:
我心里非常高興,高興得有一次竟停下腳步問自己,這種喜悅的含義何在,
and to remind reason that it was not to my home I was going, or to a permanent resting-place,
并提醒理智,我不是回到自己家里,或是去一個永久的安身之處,
or to a place where fond friends looked out for me and waited my arrival.
我是到一個親密的朋友們翹首以待、等候我到達的地方。
"Mrs. Fairfax will smile you a calm welcome, to be sure," said I;
“可以肯定,費爾法克斯太太會平靜地笑笑,表示歡迎,”我說,
"and little Adèle will clap her hands and jump to see you:
“而小阿黛勒會拍手叫好,一見我就跳起來,不
but you know very well you are thinking of another than they, and that he is not thinking of you."
過你心里很明白,你想的不是她們,而是另外一個人,而這個人卻并不在想你。”